Thursday, May 24, 2012

SEE THE FLAW, FIX THE FLAW


Kevin Long’s getting some heat.  Many are calling for his head.  I’m not quite sure I blame Kevin Long, these are major league guys who got there because they developed into good players and "made it."  You can sit there an analyze why Long’s there and I’d probably agree with you, but a portion of the blame goes to the hitter as well.

I wrote YANKEE BASEBALL: THE BASICS OF HITTING the other day kind of mocking my Yankees, a silly piece that was supposed to give you a chuckle but also send a message.  Sometimes players get into a routine so much so that they develop a habit and if no one catches it, well, it’s takes over and getting away from that bad habit takes time. To fix it, you need to catch it, then adjust, then think about it ever time you have an at-bat.   When you get up to the plate you're thinking more about the bad habit you’re supposed to be avoiding and not concentrating on your job…hitting the ball square and knocking in runs.  It just takes time, but bad habits can be fixed.
It happens all the time and it goes back to little league. I see it now more and more every day and it’s my job as a coach to find the flaw and try to get the kids away from the bad habit.  Believe it or not, it’s aggravating because you can tell these kids what to do, and they get up there and their wheels are spinning. By the time they get comfortable it’s strike 2 and now they’re worried about striking out as well as their swing.  It sucks as a kid...not to mention try being a 13 year veteran with a bad habit. 
Kevin Long has an important job, see the flaw and fix the flaw.  Teaching an adult who has it all figured out doesn’t always “take” to learning all over again.  It’s tricky, you're asking someone who’s been hitting a certain way to change their routine and make adjustments.  Look at Derek Jeter last season, he started out with a stance that just wasn’t working for him, and as you may or may not remember from his HBO documentary, when he got hurt and went down to Tampa, he found his way with different advice and never looked back…he’s still lingering at around .342 right now this season so... something was fixed.   
The point is, players can get advice from Kevin Long, but it’s not all on him.  Jeter knew that, Jeter found his comfort zone, he’s now waiting on the ball, and he looks like he’s 24.  Ultimately, it’s up to the player…take some advice from Long, but work out the kinks on your own. It’s up to you and what your comfort zone is….You’re the one up there, not Kevin Long.

Some of you won’t  agree with me, but I’m only giving my opinion as a fan and what I’ve observed over time and I have no doubt that you have your opinions as well. Comment, tell me what you think…I’d love to hear from you.
 
ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017