Tuesday, April 3, 2012

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT THAT PETTITTE PITCH NOW?

It was revealed today that Andy Pettitte will in fact pitch 1 inning in tomorrow's game against the New York Mets in what will be the last Spring Game before the regular season starts on Friday in Tampa Bay. Why? Because it’s clear the Yankees want to see where Andy stands in his progress. After all, one inning merely gives Pettitte a taste of what it's like to be back and gives the Yankees a feel on how much fatigue he will have in a live game.

But one has to wonder (that's me) if it's really important that Andy get out there tomorrow in a game that doesn't mean anything. It's not like he's competing for a spot, he'll be competing against himself for the month of April anyway until he's ready to come up in May. What does it matter that he pitches against the Mets tomorrow? I don't know, I find it weird.

Pettitte's pitched 2 simulated games since coming back. He told George King III the other day that his legs aren't back yet, Read HERE. Clearly you need your legs to pitch, in fact, it's one of the most important parts of the body when you're on the mound.

Then, if you read the quote from Joe Girardi in this Newsday piece HERE, you have to believe Girardi knows Andy's not ready either. Girardi says "I want to look him in the eye to make sure."

Couple that with Andy not picking up a baseball for a whole year and the Yankees already having 5 starters ready to go this season and let's be honest, what's the rush?

Look, if the Yanks want to throw Andy out there, no doubt, he'll be great, but all I'm saying is,what if he's not? What does it matter if he's out there in a live game now or on April 21st? I'm just saying as much as we want our Pettitte "fix", let's wait until he's got a few extra weeks under his belt, you know?

Bottom line, I can't wait for Pettitte to join the team, no doubt he will, and tomorrow will be a treat... I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, I don't, I just want what's best for the team... and this excercise isn't my opinion isn't the greatest idea the Yankees have thought up. Didn't we learn anything from Michael Pineda? This Pettitte, one inning thing seems like a side show.

Whatever the decision though, I back my Yankees, and I will always root for Andy Pettitte, exhibition or not!

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017