Saturday, November 19, 2011

THE LINCECUM DILEMMA

The San Francisco Giants have a problem. It may not be major, but it is a problem. To me, it’s concerning to not be able to lock up your ace for a long term deal and that is exactly what has happened to the Giants and Tim Lincecum. No doubt, in a perfect marriage, you want to be with your team for a career, pitch your heart out for them and stay long term. Look at CC Sabathia, look at Cliff Lee’s deal. Look at what CJ Wilson wants to accomplish this off season. You can’t sit there and tell me there is nothing wrong with the relationship between Lincecum and the Giants. If there wasn’t, a long term deal would be done by now. Read about the long term dilemma HERE.

Expect Brian Sabean to become frustrated. Yeah, they may sign Lincecum to a 1 or 2 year deal like he wants, but that won’t last. The Giants want to win it all and they know Lincecum is a huge part of that. But what happens if Lincecum doesn’t want to be apart of it?

I have always been a fan of “The Freak” and while the idea of him coming to the Yankees, makes everyone laugh, I’m riding the Lincecum train because something’s rotten in San Francisco. I presented a simple question earlier in the week (Read WHY LINCECUM FOR MONTERO MAY HAPPEN) and was told I was wrong, and maybe I am, but how wrong are all these guys in the rumored off-season anyway and they communicate with "sources' 10 times more than I do? True, I’m not affiliated with MLB, but what does that matter? I’m not affiliated with ESPN, but what does that matter? Have you heard the crap Gammons peddles? Have you seen the amount of times Rosenthal is wrong about a player's trade rumor? Believe me, it happens alot, take a tally.

The point is rumors start somewhere and this latest struggle between Lincecum and Giants management is pretty significant. How would you feel if someone like Robinson Cano only wanted a 2 year deal with the Yankees and go year to year? You’d be uneasy about it. You would ask, "Is Cano unhappy?" You'd become frustrated, "Screw him, if he doesn't want to play long term, we don't want him anyway." Prediction... someone's not totally sold or not totally happy in San Francisco. Sure, going through arbitration for Lincecum may seem like he’s just trying to prove his worth, but it seems like a hassle for someone that should be happy with his employer.

Look, truth be told, I don’t know what’s in Lincecum’s mind, yes, it’s speculation, but the writing on Lincecum's locker wall is interesting…that’s why I suggested what I suggested, He and Jesus Montero. Yes, it would be a start, no one is suggesting it's JUST Montero straight up and it also doesn't need to include Montero in a trade for Tim. If you want something you need to give something, especially if that something you want is damn good. The Giants need bats, they probably could use an arm or too. What's to say the Yankees don't go after Yoennis Cespedes (Read HERE) and trade Nick Swisher (Read HERE)and a Dellin Betances and Hector Noesi? Sounds horrible I know because we all love Swish and we want Betances to shine in New York... but my point is Lincecum’s quality and could prove huge in the Bronx. Cashman’s the genius at the shell game and may manipulate it in our favor only giving away minimal damage, but personally, I just don’t see how Sabean and Cashman aren’t picking up the phone to try and see what Lincecum’s worth is on the trade market, I believe it's happening.

Sure, I could be wrong… but what if I’m right?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017