Thursday, November 3, 2011

GIO GONZALEZ: MAKING OF A YANKEE SUPERSTAR?

The Oakland Athletics are reportedly looking to unload Gio Gonzalez. Read it HERE. To me, trading for this 24 year old lefty stud is a no-brainer. I know Gonzalez is on the Yankees radar and it is only a matter of time before Brian Cashman finds the right combination of young prospects to hand over to Oakland so Gio, young Gio can come to the Bronx and begin his journey as a true Yankee champion.

Gio is a young Andy Pettitte and while it’s not going to be easy to get a Gio, Cashman can do it, he can do anything and I believe it would be a smart move to get Gio to the Bronx. I spoke about it weeks ago in WOULD YOU TRADE FOR GIO GONZALEZ?
Gio is as good if not better than CJ Wilson. Personally, I believe CJ Wilson will stay in Texas and I believe that the Rangers would be fools to let him walk. Wilson’s good… for Texas, but I’m just not so sure he could handle the Bronx pressure. It’s one thing to pitch against the Yankees, it’s another to represent and we have seen superstars crumble under the pressure of trying to carry a Yankee team in a tough situation. CC Sabathia knows how the handle it. Kenny Rogers didn’t. David Wells could, Jeff Weaver couldn’t. The list goes on and on and I’m guessing on this one, but I’m putting Wilson in the loss column. However, I see Gio developing into a superstar. Hey, who knows... I could have it all wrong but there is something about Gio that makes me believe.

Not only is Gonzalez developing into a big time pitcher, the Yankees need another lefty and Gio is not only good, but at the right price, it would smarter to pursue him because of his age, his price, his lefty arm and the quality he brings to every start.
Yes, Yu Darvish could be amazing, but at what price? My feeling about Gio is simple; if we can get him in a trade and the damage of who we give up is minimal and he shits the bed, we didn’t blow $45 million on the guy, we just lost a few youngsters. But, if we signed Yu Darvish for an insane amount of money and he sucks, we lost a ton of dough on a pitcher that’s not the real thing. Now… who would you like to invest in? If we go the Gio way, we save a little money and if he’s great and the Yankees rotation is CC, Gio, Ivan Nova, AJ Burnett and Phil Hughes, we win the World Series in 2012. Plus, we have money left over for another great pitcher next winter. See my logic?

Look, I’m all over the map, I know, but that's because I’m excited; Gio Gonzalez could be coming the the Yankees if we play our cards right and I’m fine with that....I really am.

Stay tuned...

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017