Thursday, August 4, 2011

WHY FREDDY GARCIA IS THE YANKEES ROCK

(Photo: Getty)
He was a wild card but he’s turned into something more. Freddy Garcia is the Yankees anchor and he’s proven time and time again why a veteran with heart needs to be in the Yankees rotation. Nearly every time I’ve written about Garcia this season, I've managed to also insert Bartolo Colon in the same piece. Then, the words “old” and “heart” were written. Then I'd write “if they stay healthy and don’t wear down, it’s great. It makes sense, I need to write that, don’t I?

Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon have no business being in a Yankee rotation, let alone any Major League roster for that matter. These guys are old, their washed up… and their damn good this year, aren’t they?

With all the talk of AJ Burnett not being the top “ace” that everyone thought he was, Colon and Garcia have moved up in the ranks. Well, Garcia and Colon should, they're proving themselves. If I needed to set a rotation for the playoffs right now, it would obviously start with CC Sabathia without a doubt, but it would have to be followed by Bartolo or the Chief. These guys grind it out and keep their team in the game every time, and that rare occasion they have a bad outing, the bottom line, it’s rare, plain and simple.

  1. CC Sabathia
  2. Bartolo Colon
  3. AJ Burnett
  4. Freddy Garcia

This is my rotation. I think that minor adjustment could work wonders, Colon at number 2 and Freddy as the anchor. And this would not only be in a playoff, but in a World Series Championship game as well. Why? Because confidence is key and Colon and Garcia have it. AJ Burnett is slowly falling into the Burnett rut of 2010. Yes, he can still pitch, but much like last year, he’s thinking too much and that’s exactly what happened last night. But he stays in the rotation because, he has the experience and this is my blog, my opinion.

In any best of 5 or best of 7 series during the playoffs, you need to expect CC to win the first game, and Bartolo Colon to have a 60% chance of winning Game 2. AJ Burnett has about a 50% chance of getting a no decision, 20% chance of getting a loss and 30% chance of getting a win right now. I’d put him third though because if I need a 4 man rotation, Freddy Garcia is my anchor, he will help the Yanks bounce back if there is a loss.

Yes, it's true, Garcia reinvented himself, he mixes up his pitches, he has more experience than a lot of these guys and he grinds it out every time. It’s almost a shame the Yankees didn’t pick up Garcia years ago when they were looking at him, we may have seen some real good years of Freddy in his prime. Well, we can’t go back, he’s past his prime, but he’s pitching real well since day one for the Yanks and I’ve actually seen fans that never liked him before really change their minds. He’s really turned some heads.

Look, am I saying Freddy Garcia is our Saving Grace? No, but I am telling you that in a world of worry when it comes to our starting pitching, I think Cashman really captured something special for the Yankees. Ironically, Garcia has been our rock all season and all you can do is hope and pray he is consistently stable, durable and creative so he can help get us to the playoffs and beyond. I said it earlier in the year and I’ll say it again, there’s a story here. Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia have turned their careers around with the help of the Yankees throwing them a bone. It’s a Lifetime TV movie, it’s an afterschool special, it’s a 48 hours mystery, who knows, but it’s a sweet story of success and determination, and I love it. Let’s hope their success continues…

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Hail To The Chief...like St Paul, I had a conversion, on the proverbial 'road to Damascus', LOL, regarding our re-born Venezuelan wonder!

    Tonight, we begin to reverse 1-8 in BeanTown !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017