Saturday, July 16, 2011

WHY THE YANKEES AND ROCKIES ARE CHATTING

It’s still early but it is interesting how things progress sometimes. We all first heard a whiff of the Yankees being interested in Ubaldo Jimenez of the Rockies around the All-Star Game and there is no doubt in my mind that the rumor is probably true based on the fact that yesterday it is being reported that the Rockies have been checking out the Yankees Farm System HERE. Now, clearly we have some good kids down there and we all know Jimenez is a talented arm as well, so It leads me to believe that if Cashman can get creative and not give away the true talent, but instead deal some of the kids who we are not hard pressed to keep, we may see some movement on this “rumor”. But the reality is, I can't see the Rockies parting with Jimenez.

Look hear me out. Let me be the first to say that Jesus Montero is a talented catcher and many of us, no no, let me rephrase that… almost all of us thought we’d see Jesus Montero behind the plate for the Yankees this year. Many saw him as the main catcher early, then we saw him as a backup catcher and then we saw him as coming up by the All-Star break. Yes, it’s true, his bat is terrific and his defense is a work in progress, but still, this guy will be a young talent. But let's be honest, I’m not so sure Montero is the guy we should be protecting when it comes to the trade deadline. I think it may infact be Austin Romine. My opinion, I may be wrong.

Now, clearly no one has a crystal ball and knows if either one of them will because a superstar in the future, but I’m going with my gut on this one. I believe Montero could be moved. Why? Because if the Yankees want to win, they’ll need some solid pitching. CC, AJ and Colon have been solid, but as we saw the other night, Colon could possibly be breaking down and that’s worrisome. That would leave us with 2 solid starters, a guy named Hughes with a “dead arm” mystery and The Chief, who while solid, you have to think, if Colon is first, is The Chief next? The point is one quality starter is going to require us moving 1 quality prospect, or 2 or 3 and that’s how you win, you give up good stuff to get good stuff.

That being said, the Rockies probably want pitching and Montero is a great prospect, but a catcher. Would they ask for Manny Banuelos? I say he’s off limits. How about Dellin Betances? Well, I may be willing to part with him, but it depends on for who. Andrew Brackman? I’d be willing to part with him.

(In Photo: Jose Tabata / Getty)

I think back to 2008 when the Yankees needed alittle pitching and a bat. The Yankees at the time were not willing to part with Jose Tabata. They were sure he was the next best thing for the Yankees. At the end of the day, the Yanks unloaded Tabata right before the deadline. The New York Yankees traded he, Jeff Karstens, Daniel McCutchen and Ross Ohlendorf to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady.

The point is, anything can happen. So, with all the talk about the Yankees and Jimenez and the Rockies creeping around the Yankees farm, never say never, because there’s always a chance it may be now…especially if they need a hard throwing pitcher, believe me.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Four for one idea. Two of three between Phelps/Warren/Mitchell, Romine, and either Joseph or Adams at 2nd. I'll throw in Gardner if Rockies are willing to add Fowler.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017