Saturday, December 4, 2010

WHY ALL IS WELL IN YANKEELAND

Derek Jeter is officially a New York Yankee again and for the moment, all is well in Yankeeland. Mo's coming back and now Jeter and heading into the Winter Meetings, 2 big names are off our plate and a few bigger ones are on the radar, namely, Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Russell Martin and Andy Pettitte.

If we know anything about New York, it's about getting the biggest fish now. The Red Sox for example are the same way. They've been talking about Adrian Gonzalez forever, and today, in principal at least, they have him. I bet they get Jayson Werth too, but that's another conversation for another day. The Yankees have been talking Cliff Lee since they lost him in the Mariners bait and switch back in July and you know Cashman will now do everything to get him. He'll do anything to get Cliff Lee for the Yankees sake, for the fans sake and for sure, to stick it to the Mariners. No one swindles Brian Cashman, NO ONE.

But, back to Jeet. Jeter got a 3 year contract, worth $51 million. He also got a 4th year option. To everyone who told me I was crazy, suck it. Didn't I tell you all that he'd get an extra option year? Read WHY JETER IS AN ICON from way back on November 3rd. I came damn close. Yeah, I was wrong about the years, but I was close about the cash and about how the option would break down, so sue me, that was my love for Jeter coming out I guess. I speculated 5 years, $56 million deal with a 6th year option of $9 million. It makes sense.
The Yankees played hard in these negotiations. Jeet did too. Both sides deserve alittle credit, but the hardest part was the fans watching this thing unfold like the 2 were bitter enemies. I'm the first to say that I never ever expected it to take this long, but now he's back, so we can all rejoice.

Cashman needs to do a few important things now, get Andy Pettitte to officially commit and sign Cliff Lee... whatever it takes. I told you I believed Pettitte was waiting to officially commit until he saw the Yanks get Lee. If they do, he's in, no doubt. That's how I feel about this. Now, if the Yankees lose out to another team to get Lee, at least Pettitte sees they gave it a shot, and I suspect he officially commits anyway. We will see next week, hopefully Cashman nails it all down.

I like the idea and welcome Russell Martin to share catching duties with Jesus Montero next year by the way. I never thought of it until this week obviously, but I love it. I am actually obssessed with the idea right now, so I kind of hope Cashman can get him at a reasonable price. I actually think it all hinges on whether or not they get Lee and / or Carl Crawford.

One things for sure, alots about to go down in Yankeeland, this is when it gets the most fun... the Winter Meetings. Go get'um Cash, go get'um.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017