Sunday, September 1, 2024

THE BEN RICE EXPERIMENT IS OVER


It was fun for a while, but now the Yankees have made a move. Ben Rice is going to AAA.

He started out hot and that was great for our team, but as the Sporting News writes, things changed:

"...the 25-year-old has a .175 batting average and 74 OPS+ in 175 plate appearances this season. He's also struggled mightly against lefties, recording a 53 wRC+ against southpaws."

Add in the fact that Anthony Rizzo is coming back, and the bigger contract means playing time. That's how the Yankees do it. Don't believe me look at struggling DJ leMahieu. The guy can't hit a beach ball these days, but he's in the lineup.  

It's really not fair how the Yankees do it. Contracts dictate playing time. I'm not sure I love Ben Rice's numbers in this situation, but the fact is Rizzo does perform when he's hot and you got to hope when he concludes his rehab assignment in Somerset he will pick up where he left off.  Plus, he's a great clubhouse guy.

For now however, Rice is going down...

"The Yankees announced two moves, optioning rookies Ben Rice and Will Warren following Saturday's 6-5 loss against the St. Louis Cardinals."

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention Warren as well, except for the fact that I really don't like Will Warren on the bump for the Yankees ever.  Not a guy I have much faith in.  And so, that's why I was focusing more on Rice.  The Rice- Rizzo story is interesting.  You just got to hope Rizzo performs, that's the key.

Anyway, a loss to the Cards yesterday and consistency hasn't been outstanding, but we are crawling our way to the playoffs.  I just really wonder when all is said and done, can we really go deep in the playoffs with the manager we have?  I don't have faith he can truly drive the train.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.