Sunday, August 25, 2024

FANS MATTER! JUST ASK THE TERRACE SQUAD

On Tuesday, I went to my first Yankee game of the season. That is my longest drought except of course 2020. Part of the reason I had not made it to the Stadium was just life; the other reason was that I kind of have this love/hate relationship with this 2024 team. You've seen them play and you've read my commentary. Can you blame me?

I think Bob Lorenz and Jack Curry said it best during Saturday's Old Timers Celebration: "Aaron Boone is hoping the 2009 Yankees rub off on the 2024 Yankees." I couldn't agree more. Yet at that game on Tuesday night, my first of the season, I gained a renewed faith in this Yankee team. This despite them losing after 12 1/2 innings, their longest game at the Stadium this season. My faith reboot came from the fans. Because on Tuesday night I got to spend the evening with the Terrace Squad out in center field and I will tell you what, fans matter, and they are all in on this team.


As the Terrace Squad assembled, the Collab drop certainly made its way into the Terrace. If you don't know what I am talking about, I will clue you in. New York or Nowhere dropped merch on Tuesday afternoon and it was everywhere, including the Terrace. Yes, I got sucked in too. But the idea of New York or Nowhere really settled in on the Squad, of which I was part of that night.

Also clearly evident in the vibe from the Terrace was their dedication to John Sterling. They had a radio blasting during the innings where John came in to call the game. The giveaway was a commemorative tee with John and Suzyn celebrating their 20 years calling Yankee games together. The Squad wore their shirts proudly, they kept score, eagerly rooted for their team and jeered at the Guardians. The atmosphere was electric!

From the Terrace you were in the thick of things: roll call was to my left, chopped cheese behind me and to the right, you had a clear view of Monument Park. It is a perfect place to watch the game, soak in the fandom and hear the bullpen warm up with force. 


Following Tuesday's game, I am reminded of a comment a Jersey City resident said to me as my son and I eagerly waited for the bus into Manhattan. "I hope you win tonight. But remember, the season starts in September."  



As I left the game which was a loss, I kept that fan's wise words in my head. I also remain connected to the renewed faith in the Yankees that came from their fans in the Terrace. It is almost as if the fans' energy is the kind of energy that could thrust the Yankees right over the finish line. But at the end of the day, we all know that it is up to the Yankees to do that themselves. Yet if the players can just let that energy and passion into their hearts, and as Jack Curry said before Saturday's game against the Rockies, "Win the games they are supposed to win," perhaps the fans' persistence does matter, and it is truly a New York or Nowhere mentality. Can the Yankees forge ahead, suck in the 2009 lore, the fans' belief in them, the New York or Nowhere vibe and end the 15-year World Series drought? It's their choice. Win or don't; there's no in between. Maybe they didn’t hear me on Saturday. Hopefully today is a better day. 




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.