Monday, November 20, 2023

THE YANKEES ARE "FAVORITES" TO SIGN CODY BELLINGER... SORT OF


The Yankees need to upgrade their offense in a big way this offseason. They could do that by adding Cody Bellinger to the roster. He's the biggest catch out there not named Shohei Ohtani and everyone's watching him and wondering where his new home is going to be.

Rumor has it HERE that the Yankees are favorites to woo Bellinger....but they aren't the only favorite. Yup, in fact the Yankees are supposed "co-favorites" for his services along with the San Francisco Giants. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, right? Last winter the Giants were also chasing after Aaron Judge so why not do it again this winter? Hopefully, it's the same outcome again.


Now the question is, how much will Bellinger actually get? I've seen some crazy and wide ranged predictions out there from 6 years at $150 million to 12 years and $250 million plus. Baseball contracts can be hard to predict anyways, but I am sure that right now Scott Boras is just loving the wide range of possibilities for his client. 

I know some fans are not keen on adding Bellinger to the mix, but if we can get him on the lower end of that crazy contract spectrum range, I am game. The Yankees desperately need another lefty bat AND they need to get more athletic. Cody has some nice pop in his bat AND he's athletic. I can see him in the outfield with Judge, easily. Also, I really could see the Yankees liking him for his abilities at first base. We saw what happened last season to Anthony Rizzo so he only adds more options to a team that really needs them after the dumpster fire season we just had. Cody can hold down first base easily, and give DJ LeMahieu some breathing room, also.


I've always been a Cody fan. I like his family; they are good people. I am also a big fan of his father Clay who I was fortunate enough to interview 7 years ago, check it out EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: CLAY BELLINGER. I loved Clay as a Yankee. I loved the Home Run he robbed in the 2000 World Series, that will always be my favorite memory of him as a player. Now, I envision big plays like that for Cody just following in his footsteps....and it gives me chills.


The Yankees have a lackluster offense, and I think Cody could help get this flat team back on track. The Yankees have to do something, and Cody has Yankee makeup in his blood. This could work.... if the Yankees grow a brain and don't mess this up.



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017