Monday, August 28, 2023

YANKEE FANS VOW TO HIT STEINBRENNER WHERE IT HURTS - IN HIS POCKET!


There's a growing movement on social media, focused around the Yankees, and no one is surprised. Baseball fans everywhere are mad and are talking about sticking it to who it hurts the most, ownership. But will it work?

I no longer live in New York, and there are days I really miss it. I have a lot of friends back home who are season ticket holders and if I go home during baseball season, I try to check out a Yankee game. A friend of mine got their 2024 invoice from the Yankees this week and it was a shocker. I got a text message yesterday that said this: "f--- the Yankees! I'm done being ripped off by going to these games to watch mediocre baseball. I'm not renewing my tickets. Hal can go take a long walk off of a short pier!"


So long story short, if I go home during baseball season next year I won't be sitting in his seats. Someone else will be sitting in the seats he's held since 2013. Shortly after I got his text, I saw THIS story and it just put everything into context. My friend had a 4% increase in their tickets, some fans were given a 10% increase for next season. That is a punch to the gut.


I get it. The Yankees (and every other team for that matter) only care about the revenue. They don't care about the quality of the product and the fan experience. Instead, while Aaron Judge misses two months of the season and Giancarlo Stanton have hot and cold streaks like a rollercoaster, the Yankees just continue to raise prices even though they do not have a winning product. We just get to pay for all of their expensive mistakes by high ticket prices, overpriced food prices, high parking costs and ridiculous streaming costs just to watch our team. We pay for it all.


But now fans (like my friend) want to make sure the Yankees feel it. There's only one way to do that and that is to strip Hal of his revenue. Obviously, that is much easier than it sounds. Reality is, my friend and tens of thousands of other fans need to follow suit. As long as fans are filling Yankee stadium, and subscribing to streaming services Hal Steinbrenner isn't going to get the message and nothing changes.

I'm not happy with this team or the direction it is going in just like countless other fans. I've talked to many other fans who say the only way to make change happen is to boycott everything that makes the Yankees money. We've said it many times, but now does it finally happen? Is this the season that makes fans act and execute the boycott we've all heard about?

Is this just the beginning.... or does this fizzle out? Can't wait to follow this story and see where it goes.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017