Thursday, January 20, 2022

HARDBALL! THE PLAYERS UNION HAS A COUNTER OFFER


I really want to say "YAY at least they are talking" but I'm not going to get ahead of myself. I know this is going to be a looooooonnnnggggg game of chicken. 

On December 1, 2021 the Players Association and MLB had a SEVEN minute stand down that obviously led to the lockout. A week ago today, MLB made their first proposal and both sides talked for about an hour but no progress was made. Now MLBPA is preparing a counter offer that could be made any day now. Jon Heyman tweeted this yesterday.


So players are holding out for their biggest issues, but what are they? It's a good list but the major ones were MLB’s proposal didn’t address luxury tax thresholds or free-agent eligibility AT ALL, and the MLBPA has voiced frustration with the current rules regarding both issues. Free agency and compensation (especially for arbitration eligible and minor leaguers) are a hot topic. MLBPA would like to see free agency time reduce from six years to five and owners have said no. MLBPA is also asking for $100 million less in revenue sharing which owners say they are unwilling to negotiate because it only increases the financial divide between large and small market teams.

And speaking of revenue, we all know how lucrative these tv contracts are for owners. Ticket sales are nice, but tv contracts expand the audience and revenue. I will be the first to admit, I can't go to as many games so I rely on my mlb.tv subscription to get the most action. Knowing that, owners are interested in an expanded playoff bracket to 14 teams. Previously, MLBPA was open to a 12 team format. It's a big bargaining chip.



And what about that rumored universal DH? MLBPA is open to it and it is still widely believed to be a part of this new CBA as long as it isn't something owners will use to try to use as leverage to gain something else they want.

The clock is ticking no matter how we look at this. MLBPA is supposed to counter any time now. Both sides need to start making headway here if we want to see Spring Training start on time. I'm not convinced that this happens, but I hope I am wrong. For Spring Training to start on time, both sides need to agree on something by first week of February.....which honestly feels like a longshot.

Back to that MLB.tv subscription I mentioned...if I cancel the automatic renewal on my mlb.tv that will help matters. But then again MANY others need to do the same thing to send the message. They’d get moving if a bunch of tv revenue disappeared though, right?




--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017