Wednesday, March 24, 2021

GRATEFUL GARDNER KNOWS THE VALUE OF THE GAME


You all are no stranger to my feelings on Brett Gardner. He is gritty, he is dedicated and he is grateful. And he understands his role on the 2021 Yankees and he is ready to serve.

"For me, I still mentally and physically have to be prepared to play every day," Gardner said. "I know that if all of our guys are healthy, that's probably not going to happen, which is fine. I know what I signed up for when I decided to come back here. I'm just excited to be a part of this team, and however often I play, I'll be ready for it," reported Bryan Hoch

Source: USA Today

Brett Gardner is about to embark upon his 14th major league season, all 14 with the New York Yankees. And although he will likely not be in the lineup on opening day, he will be in the lineup this season. Gardner could have gone elsewhere given his track record and persistence to play with heart and speed. But the Yankees are thrilled he chose to stay in the Bronx where his presence will clearly make an impact on this year's team.

"We didn't bring him back as a reward for what he's done in the past. We brought him back because we think he's going to impact us in the present. We're lucky that he loves being here, because I guarantee he had a chance to go elsewhere and probably make more money," said Brian Cashman as reported by Bryan Hoch

Gardner will get playing time, there is no doubt about it. He is a hard worker, a great defensive player and he quite frankly stays healthy. "I'm fortunate," Gardner said. "I've been able to play a little longer than maybe most guys. I'll just continue to take good care of myself, hopefully put the right things in my body, and it'll treat me well. Yeah, here we are -- ready for another season," said Gardner.

For all the naysayers, I say go ahead, rant, and for those who love Gardy for his determination and consistent contribution, this is good news for the longest current tenured Yankee. The best part of this all, besides having Gardy in 2021, is that he is humble and grateful for the opportunity.  He appreciates the value to play and the value of the game on his life. Good luck Gardy! Here's to many Gardy Parties this season!



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017