Wednesday, December 16, 2020

THAT'S A WRAP, TEX!

Source: ESPN

One of the greatest home run calls John Sterling ever made was for one first baseman who I still miss. Bellowing in my head every so often is, "You're on the Mark Teixeira!" which makes me laugh and brightens a somewhat mediocre day. During the first marathon I completed, I continued to call out to spectators as I adorned my Yankee cap, "You're on the Mark Teixeira!" And on certain evenings, my son and I find a Youtube to commemorate the call. But, today, Mark is dropping the mic much like he dropped his cleats in 2016. Teixeira is saying goodbye to his broadcast job and baseball, for good... for now.

"I will be spending more time on business and personal opportunities that have materialized over the past year, and simply won’t have time to work for the network. These opportunities include moving my family back to Texas, finishing my bachelor’s degree at Georgia Tech, as well as focusing more time on investing and philanthropy," said Teixeira as reported by NJ.com.

Source: Associated Press

Teixeira submitted his resignation to ESPN officials on Tuesday, a position he held since the latter part of 2017, following a great stint with the Yankees. His last day with ESPN will be February 28, 2021.  He brought his unique flavor and opinions to his position, certainly adding some much needed charisma to the team at ESPN.

"After leaving the game, Teixeira hasn’t been afraid to speak his mind as a TV analyst, sometimes taking shots at the Yankees and other current players, like he did in September, when he called out closer Aroldis Chapman for throwing at the head of Tampa Bay Rays infielder Mike Brosseau," reported NJ.com.

With all of the gloomy news looming around the "what ifs" with DJ LeMahieu, this story, demonstrates how a player turned baseball analyst can choose his path and reinvent himself. Aaron Boone said in a press conference Tuesday that DJ set himself up well. I think Tex has as well and I wish him happiness as he explores new opportunities including finishing his degree. You're on the Mark, Teixeira and you always will be for me. Thanks for giving myself and fans a lot of happiness over the years. Good luck!




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017