Wednesday, July 22, 2020

JORDAN MONTGOMERY DEMOTED

Source: NJ.com

I am as shocked as you. I watched Jordan Montgomery pitch with efficiency, precision and control against the New York Mets on Sunday. I saw him strike out NL Rookie of the Year, Pete Alonso. I saw him pick off Michael Conforto with a move like I haven't seen since Andy Pettitte.  I was excited for his contribution this season.  I have been waiting. And I guess I am going to wait some more.

Source: NY Post

According to MLB.com, "The move to option Montgomery stemmed from the club’s decision not to use a fifth starter during the first turn through the rotation. It is expected that Montgomery will be recalled prior to the Yanks’ sixth game of the season, the July 29 home opener against the Phillies at Yankee Stadium." 

It appears the Yankees will go with a rotation of Gerrit Cole, James Paxton and Mike King or perhaps an opener for the first three games of the season. Mike King also pitched well in the first of two contests against the Mets this passed weekend.  But, Montgomery was amazing, keeping his pitch count down, and throwing a 2-hit, scoreless five innings.


“I just did my best to do as many ups and downs as I could and just elongated bullpens,” Montgomery said. “It's weird; arm strength-wise, I feel the best I've felt in a long time. I didn't take any time off during quarantine, so now it's trying to fine-tune my command and the offspeed [pitches], really,” reported MLB.com.

Even it is expected to be temporary, Montgomery should be with the team.  He earned the spot. He battled back from Tommy John Surgery and he is clearly confident and ready. Roster spots are limited, of course, but he should be in the rotation.  I simply don't understand.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof

2 comments:

  1. Monty got robbed, he earned it.
    Everybody talking about the big 4 of Torres Sanchez Judge and Stanton is not as fearful as some think.Sanchez and Stanton right now are not even hitting and Torres will k in some clutch at bats higher in the lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very disappointed if the Yankees have players who kneel. Express your feelings on your own time and just play the game please???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017