Sunday, May 31, 2020

2 AUSTRALIANS WALK INTO A BAR. AND THAT BAR... WAS FOLEY'S


Life takes crazy turns sometimes.  When Shaun Clancy of Foley's in New York City announced Friday that they were closing up shop because of the Coronavirus, it was pretty much devastating to everyone in New York or anyone that loves baseball.  In fact, I mentioned Pete Caldera in my article, our bud over there at the Bergen Record. He was one of the guys that was a true bro of Shaun's, and wrote this just a few hours after the announcement...


"...Foley’s could not survive the COVID-19 crisis, and now it goes the way of Toots Shor’s and Runyons, the legendary New York places where sports figures and celebrities mingled with fans and tipplers. I was lucky, so lucky, to be in that sphere. Luckier still that Shaun Clancy is my friend. "


The truth is, everyone that walked into that bar felt like Shaun was their friend. It just goes to show that while Pete was a true friend, Shaun's friendly nature, the atmosphere of Foley's really sucked you in.  My buddy Joey Moses from Australia sent me this. And it just goes to show how everyone went to Foley's because it was the most fun place on earth...

Photo Credit: Joey Moses
Brother,

Just read your article, can’t believe Foley's is going! It was probably my favourite joint in NYC. I remember going there for the first time in 2007 with one of my friends, and all I could think about was how awesome this place would be to come back with my dad. Then when dad and I eventually did come back in 2012. We met you person on that trip, remember? On that vacation I knew Foley's had to be the first place I took him to. And then I wanted to make sure he went to Mickey Mantle's across from Central Park too. He loved it! Was such an amazing vibe at Foley's. I still can’t believe it won’t be there anymore.

--Joey


Photo Credit: Joey Moses / Photo of Charles Moses
Joey's dad is Charles Moses, and both of them are friends for life, all because of Bleeding Yankee Blue, a place where people can read about the Yankees and become part of our family and a place where conversations can be had about our greatest spots in New York... Foley's of course being one of them. Sad. Sad day.

Everyone wants to jump in and help keep Foley's open. But Foley's put this out last night:



No one likes the end... but that's life. People die, people are born. Places close and new places open. Evolution.

Sorry Joey. Next time you come to NYC, we'll find a new spot to call our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017