Friday, March 27, 2020

WHAT POSITION WILL CHUBBY GARY SANCHEZ END UP?


There has been plenty of talk about Gary Sanchez and if he's the right catcher for the job for the New York Yankees. I do know this... the Yankees love him, but I think the truth of the matter is he may not be the catcher they thought they were getting.

Now don't get me wrong, the dude is a solid hitter, but when it comes a his catching, while I love his arm behind the plate, the bottom line is... he's slow. Some would call him lazy behind the plate. I have.  In fact, in my podcast on BYB Media with Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa, our Managing Editor here... we spoke about just that



Now comes word that maybe his future isn't behind the plate at all.  Maybe it's first base or DH in the near future? Now, while this is obvious... I just wanted someone else to say it... not us.

NJ.com writes:


"We talked to a long-time major league scout this week who saw the Yankees a lot this spring to get a fresh scouting report on Sanchez. Here’s what the scout, who requested anonymity in order to speak freely, had to say: The Yankees are trying to alleviate stress on his back and everything else by dropping him down on one knee. I get it. He’s been hurt a lot. But watching Sanchez catch like this, I’m thinking, ‘The only guy who was very successful catching like that was Tony Pena.'...

"It’s easy to see why the Yankees are worried about Sanchez’s health. He’s a thick-bodied guy who uses his legs to hit home runs and to hit in general..."One knee or not, Sanchez is the same guy for me behind the plate. If I’m a pitcher, I’d hate throwing to him because of balls in the dirt."



“It’s a concern. Sonny Gray didn’t want to pitch to him two years ago. He said it. He wanted (Austin) Romine catching him every game. Sanchez is a catcher because he has a great arm. You don’t want to waste that. But he’s hurt a lot and you want his bat in the lineup, so do you make him a DH or move him to first base?"

Very interesting isn't it?  Now obviously this scout doesn't want to get crucified, so his name wasn't given, but look... it's not something that hasn't been said before. It's just more interesting that a writer isn't saying it, but instead, a scout.

Wow. Anyway, I just wanted to share that. enjoy your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017