Wednesday, March 4, 2020

AROD RIPS THE ASTROS A NEW ONE

Source: NY Post

Taking ownership for one's actions is one of the most responsible moves one can make as an individual. It shows that you value the rules and the rule makers and you made a mistake.  It shows authenticity.  It shows remorse.  But the Houston Astros' players decided something entirely different.  They remained smug and cocky and even blamed the leadership for their actions.

Source: Twitter 

On Tuesday while calling the Yankees-Red Sox game for ESPN, one of the biggest cheaters of the game, Alex Rodriguez, spoke up about the scandal and the Astros' players' failure to own their actions.

"I served the longest suspension in MLB history. It cost me well over $35M. And you know what? I deserved that," said Rodriguez.  He went on to say that they deserve all of the fans' and opposing players' reactions to their lack of remorse for what they did. They will have to endure all the boos, the posters, the shirts and negative commentary.  Because they earned it.

Source: NY Times

Rodriguez continued,  "I owned it after acting like a buffoon for a long time. I had my apologies, and then I went dark. I wanted my next move to be contrite, but I also wanted to go out and play good baseball and change my narrative. … You have to be accountable. You’ve earned all this negative talk. You’ve earned whatever comes your way, including whether it’s hit by a pitch or negative press.”


Source: USA Today

I am so relieved to hear these words from ARod.  It is like I needed him to speak up, because coming from him, it means something more. I was so disappointed in him when I learned about his cheating due to PEDs and ties to  Biogenesis.  I booed him from some really good seats during his appeal.  But, you know what?  He turned things around.  He owned his mistakes and more than that he was remorseful.  He has come out ahead and we as fans are forgiving.  We know players make mistakes and they are not perfect.

Source: WFAN

The Astros deserve every ounce of taunting they receive for what they did to the game of baseball.  They should all be ashamed. ARod sat out 162 games and endured more pain than the Astros will every feel. They won't ever feel that kind of pain; the pain of disappointing fans, of hurting people's careers, of stealing championships.  They won't feel that pain because they aren't sorry for their actions.  The difference between the Astros' players and Alex Rodriguez: He said he was sorry and he meant it.  Thank you, Alex, for speaking up and speaking your mind.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017