Thursday, January 25, 2018

HOLY PORK ROLL, I CAN'T WAIT!

The Trenton Pork Roll.  Bring it!


I know, folks in New Jersey know what Pork Roll is... but everyone else in America does not, right?  It's true.  I live in Jersey and have been for years.  Quick story... and one I'll never forget.  My first day of work in New York City many, many years ago, I walked into a bodega and asked the grill man for a pork roll sandwich with egg and cheese.

"What do you want?" He said.

"Pork roll," I snipped back.

"What's pork roll?"  The man was baffled.

I smartly responded with something I knew he'd understand...

"Taylor Ham," I said smiling.

"What are you talking about?"

He was clearly annoyed... and I was stumped.

But it's true.  Pork Roll is a Jersey thing. In fact, I was just reading about it's history to give you some insight. Pork roll is "a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Hamilton Square, New Jersey, and sold as 'Taylor Ham'."


And so, why do you care?  Well... because the Trenton Thunder... the Yankees minor league AA team? They changed their name for some of their games this year.... and I can't wait.

NJ.com writes:


"To commemorate their 25th season in Trenton this summer, the Trenton Thunder - a minor league affiliate of the New York Yankees - will become the Trenton Pork Roll.

And the players will wear special, pork roll uniforms. On Friday nights anyway. 'Pork Roll is a New Jersey staple that can be served on everything from breakfast sandwiches to burgers and we're thrilled to celebrate it on a daily basis at ARM & HAMMER Park,' Thunder General Manager Jeff Hurley in an announcement."

I love minor league ball.

God Bless America... and New Jersey.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017