Tuesday, March 4, 2014

FEARING THE BEARDS? NOT REALLY


Over the weekend, I was jonesing for some baseball and flipped on MLB Network, which happened to be carrying a Blue Jays game. Sure enough Adam Lind was at-bat. The director got a nice close up of Lind and it got me thinking; “Fear the Beard”! “Fear the Beard” is derived from whatever that growth on Brian Wilson’s face is and started during the Giants last championship run. It was also stolen, that’s right I said ‘stolen’, by the Red Sox last year. Looking at Lind, I fear it; I fear the beard!

Critics rankle the Yankees all the time for their clean-cut, no facial hair policy. “The Yankees are very corporate,” they say. “It’s all business in New York” and “Why are they taking the fun out of it?” Here’s what’s up. Baseball may be a game, but millionaire professionals play the game. Part of the requirement is to look the part. What’s wrong with dressing nice and being clean cut? Am I a “square” for thinking this? Part of “the establishment”? If an organization is trying to uphold an image, there is nothing wrong with asking your employees to uphold that image.


It's been reported here at Bleeding Yankee Blue that Wilson chose his beard over the Yankees. (Read NO BRIAN WILSON? NO PROBLEM.) I think that’s an easy excuse. Brian Wilson is a laid-back, West Coast guy who probably would crack under the scrutiny of the New York media. The beard is part of his shtick. Move on.


Adam Lind and for the most part, the Red Sox, the beard is a gimmick to bring the team closer together and to “rally around”. Really? The whole beard-tugging thing is dumb. It ranks up there with the Rally Monkey. Why do you feel the need to look like a bunch of homeless guys? Damon, Ellsbury, even Big Papi look more professional and respectful when they’re well groomed.

I’m sure I’m going to get killed in the comments section. Am I jealous because at 30-something many Eastern European women have thicker beards than I do? Maybe a little, but come on, buy a razor! You want to make top dollar? Look the part.



--Lem Allen, BYB Contributor
Email me at:  bybcurmudgeon@gmail.com




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017