Tuesday, March 11, 2014

DELLIN BETANCES TO THE PEN!


It's been a long road for Dellin Betances, and he may have finally found his niche. Years ago he was going to be one of the next upcoming starting pitchers out of the "Killer B's" phenomenon. Years later, he has a new calling....and looking at what he has done this spring he is destined to kick butt in the Yankees bullpen.


I like Betances for a lot of reasons. Granted, I like him more probably because I was actually able to meet him when he was down here in Arizona in 2012 for the Arizona Fall League. He has had a lot of growing pains, but he has finally figured it out. Sometimes you can't meet your full potential until you stop thinking so hard about it and just go. I really think that is what he has been doing all of these years. I got that impression even more after talking to him and his family that was sitting behind me during those Fall League games. Now it is his time to shine.

It is hard to ignore what he did in Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays. Years ago, that would not be the same Betances out on the mound. The old Betances would rely too much on his fastball and eventually a batter would run into one. On Sunday, Betances let his breaking pitches work their magic. After five breaking balls, he could have easily shook his head no at catcher John Ryan Murphy, but instead he kept at it with pitch number six until he finally struck out Matt Joyce....and it was a beautiful sight.


This Betances has confidence. Two years ago I wasn't watching the same pitcher. He has grown, he has a better pitching arsenal, and now he doesn't think too much. He could be the secret weapon that the Yankees need. We still have a lot of question marks in that bullpen and after going 6 1/3 innings on Sunday I think he is forcing the Yankees to take notice. Right now, the Yankees could be thinking about him pitching in Yankee stadium instead of back down in Scranton.

I think Joe Girardi already sees him on this team. I may be jumping the gun here, but Girardi can see it, read his comments HERE. The fastball loving Betances now how a slurve that looks so deceiving. I remember seeing the beginning of it two years ago, and now it looks polished and he is now fooling the big league hitters. Betances has evolved, and he could be a secret weapon that the Yankees need on the team this year.

I may be biased here, but I want to see Betances on this team. He's a local kid who has worked hard and he wants this opportunity. I remember talking to him and telling him that I hoped to see him in Yankee stadium. I also remember the look on his face when I said it. He paused, smiled and you could tell he was imagining it. I just hope it turns into reality. I am on team Betances....are you?




--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.