Thursday, November 28, 2013

A TOAST TO ANDY PETTITTE


They say all good things must come to an end. I hate cliches to begin with, but I guess when it comes to Andy Pettitte retiring again, I have to agree even more. There were so many things to love about Andy. It's hard to believe that 18 years can come and go so fast, but it can. After looking back at some of my moments, it really has passed quickly.....like in the blink of an eye. Here we go again with the cliches, I better just stop and talk about Andy now.

I have seen Andy retire twice now. I first discovered Andy when he was a young 23 year old man. Now all of the sudden he is 41 years old and went out with such an illustrious career as the oldest starting pitcher in baseball. Where did the time go?


I remember watching Andy in the 1996 and most importantly, the home opener.  In fact, I saw it not too long ago on YES Network and saved it on my DVR. I still can watch in awe as he pitches in the snow. The snow didn't slow him down and he pitched well for a victory. That was the beginning of the Andy Pettitte we all grew to know and love. That was the beginning of the consistent Andy that we have been spoiled with for so many years.


Another one of my favorite moments was watching Andy pitch in the 2000 World Series, arguably my favorite World Series ever. Any day the Yankees can take bragging rights over the Mets is a good day. Watching Andy catch Kurt Abbott and Mike Piazza off guard was like a rush of adrenaline for me, and that was just one of many times. He really did use that brilliant pick off move to his advantage and I wouldn't be surprised if years from now he is still one of the best left handed pitchers with that move.


I think one of the things I will miss the most is just his presence on the team, and the way he carried himself. One of the reasons I became such a big Yankee fan was because of the leadership and the grit and determination I saw on this team for many years. It's not easy to be a Yankee, you have to answer to so many people. It's not enough to give 100% on this team and you still have to be humble and respectful. Just listen to Andy talk....he is the textbook definition of that. I remember when Joe Torre was managing the Yankees, he would call him "Mr. Torre," and he still does to this day. I have always appreciated the way he has carried himself, and that is something I will always remember and miss.

It isn't enough to just want to win, you have to have the intensity and drive to get there. That is one thing that Andy has always had. Just to watch him pump his fist when he walked off of the mound when he got out of an inning gave me chills. Andy was a fighter, he had so much passion for the game. He was the ultimate competitor. I know this may not be the case for everyone, but in my eyes I think he was the most fierce competitor for all of the years I had the pleasure of watching him. I can't explain it, it's just a feeling you get. That is something that will be missed this year and beyond.


Of all the things I will miss the most, no player or other picture will ever stay burned in my memory as much as the famous Andy Pettitte "stare." Just watching from my living room, those eyes ever so slightly peaking over the top of that glove gave me chills. Nothing says "intimidation" like that stare. If I got that feeling just from a camera shot, opposing hitters must have had a hard time concentrating too. I thought Andy's pitches alone were crafty. I loved when he would throw that backdoor cutter, but add in a piercing death stare that says "hit me....I dare you" to add to that and it spells domination. I don't think I will ever get to experience that thrill again, and honestly I would be OK with that.

Andy has said goodbye to us again, and we will never see him as an active player on a pitching mound again....but I believe we will see his number hanging up in Yankee stadium. Andy played an important role in shaping a Yankees dynasty. As fans, we fell in love with him just like he fell in love with the game and being a Yankee. I don't think there are words to really describe what he has meant to this franchise. He may not convince some writers to vote him into the Hall of Fame.....but I don't think it will take much convincing to get his number retired and remembered forever.


So Andy....I know you have heard this thousands of times by now, but thank you for everything you brought to the table. I like to think we both grew together. You grew up to be an effective, accomplished pitcher and I grew up into a Yankee fanatic who has appreciated every bit of history I have been able to see.





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ

  


The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017