Monday, May 6, 2013

WHY I LIKE BOB LORENZ & HIS SNAZZY TIES


Some of my favorite memories of Yankee games as a kid was listening to the announcers and their color commentary. My favorite was Phil Rizzuto, going back and forth with Bill White.

I learned “Holy Cow!” and “Huckleberry” from him, and while he was no statistical analyst, his wit and humor added a dimension to the games that I will never forget.

Bob Lorenz does that for me these days. Granted, he’s not doing the play-by-play like Scooter did. He’s the guy that does the Pre and Post games, as well as the in-game updates around the league. But in those segments, he adds depth to the games that you might sometimes overlook. He’s got great camaraderie with his fellow broadcasters, and it shows because there is a lot of chemistry. He’s always upbeat, on point, and fun to watch. And his ties are cool too. Oh, and there’s his sense of humor. It’s as dry as a bone, and it may make you want to roll your eyes and shake your head, but it makes me laugh out loud.


One last thing, and probably the most important. He connects well with the fans. If you don’t follow him on Twitter- @boblorenz – you need to. He’s a riot. You’ll be a witness to some of his Tweet wars with Jack Curry and others, as they take friendly swipes at each other. If you Tweet him something witty, he might just answer back. I was fortunate enough to watch him do a recap of a Rays game where closer Fernando Rodney did his imaginary bow and arrow routine, and as Bob put it, “He made them quiver”. I nearly choked on my food! It was too much for me to just let go, so I tweeted him about it and got an answer back with this... (full tweet HERE):

That’s what he does best – make it fun, make it entertaining, and make it about the fans. So, I salute you, Bob. Keep up the humor and keep up the great work on YES. You’re a pleasure to watch.



--Ike Dimitriadis, BYB Writer
Twitter: @KingAgamemnon
My blog is: Shots from Murderer's Row



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017