Saturday, May 25, 2013

THE YANKEES DO GREAT THINGS

I like what I read the other day about none other than Bernie Williams. He went to Little Ferry, New Jersey and did something nice, real nice in fact.  He delivered baseball equipment to a boy who lost everything in Hurricane Sandy.

As ABC reports (HERE), "...For Michael Odeh, just hanging out with Bernie Williams is as good as an aspiring baseball players' life can get.



Just how the former Yankees star and one of baseball's greats came to meet Michael and his family, which is sometimes emotional, is not as important as why they came together.  'I lost my baseball bats. I lost my gloves. I lost my batting cloves. I lost my cleats, two pair. I lost my under armor. I lost everything,' said Michael Odeh, a student.

Everything was stored when Sandy's floodwaters filled the family's home..."

Eventually everything was restored by Bernie.

Look, I live in the Northeast.  I've seen what that storm did to many families here.  This is just a feel good story that needs to be reported.

Not sure if you remember, but former Yankee Roy Smalley has an organization called  Pitch In for Baseball that does something like this every day too! We asked Smalley about it in our interview with him. Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: ROY SMALLEY for more of that, but when I asked him about it, he said:

Roy Smalley: Our mission, to put it simply is to put baseball equipment in the hands of kids who want to play ball but don’t have the resources to do so ... Our current project is our largest and most challenging in our eight-year history.  We will re-supply equipment to over 5,000 kids in New Jersey and New York who lost everything in Hurricane Sandy.  This effort has already begun with deliveries to Island Park, Rockaway, East Rockaway and Bayonne to name a few.  We have received requests recently from Jersey City and Staten Island as well.  It is a huge effort for us and will ultimately require substantially more in the way of equipment and financial contributions from generous donors out there who would like to help..."

Giving back, helping people in need and the Yankees... it don't get much better than this.  Enjoy your Saturday.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017