Thursday, May 23, 2013

PASSING ON A YANKEE TRADITION

Last Saturday, I wrote the game recap, and briefly about my complete freak out when I saw Paul O'Neill. I've written about The Warrior before, and why I adore him. It was after that encounter that my 7 year old began asking me tons of questions about baseball.

It reminded me a lot of my grandfather and myself. I spent my childhood questioning every aspect of the game, and questioning my grandfather's childhood heroes. Paul O'Neill is to me, what Lou Gehrig was to my grandfather. And if I had to go further, I would say what Derek Jeter is to my children.

Getting my boys to watch baseball is easy. It's a sport that is played by males. They can relate to and aspire to become like them. My daughter is a completely different story. With baseball being eliminated from the Olympics, she cannot picture herself playing baseball on a big stage. So, I get it. It's hard to show interest in something that you don't think you can relate to.
My grandfather would speak animatedly about Gehrig. He always had this wide-eyed, kid on Christmas morning, look on his face when we would talk about his career and character. It's kind of how I look when I talk about O'Neill, Tino Martinez or Bernie Williams. I watched them as a child, so to me, they are larger than life legends.

I want my kids, including my daughter, to have that look on their faces when they think back and speak about Jeter, Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera. Don't get me wrong, I would never force them to root for the Yankees. Right now, they are Yankees fans, but that might change. Honestly, I am okay with that. They will grow older, make their own path in life, and choose which team, if any, they will root for. But for right now, they stare in opened eyed wonder at Mo with every save.

The Yankees is a tradition that transcends stats and the guys on the field. Every baseball fan has someone who taught them the game. And Yankees fans have that one "A-ha" moment when they become Yankees fans for life. And it always starts with an older Yankee fan laying the pavement for that fandom.

I guess the same can be said about traditions in general. Like chocolate chip pancakes on a Sunday morning, or Thanksgiving dinner with the family, love for the game, and for the Yankees is taught. Don't force it, and make it something unpleasant, and children will look forward to it. They will learn to love it.

My grandfather never forced me to watch baseball games. It was something he enjoyed and asked me to share with him. I'm the same way with my children. The game is on in the living room and they have the option of watching with me or not. Since the game on Saturday, my daughter is more inclined to watch, and question everything.

This is it. This is when I start really passing on my knowledge and love of the game to her. This will be her "a-ha" moment. This is how the tradition is continued.



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017