Monday, September 24, 2012

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RETURN OF "THE SHOW"

I miss Mariano Rivera.  I love what Rafael Soriano has done for us but I was sitting and thinking about the Yankees closer situation yesterday and that got my head wandering.  I remember being at a playoff game in 2009. I remember the show... the stadium was quiet in between innings and then Metallica's Enter Sandman flicked on. The stadium erupted and Mariano ran out to the mound. It gave me chills just thinking about it and then, I popped it on my iPod today and guess what...it gave me chills when I played it again.

Who doesn't miss Mariano? Sure, RaSo has done an enormous job but let's face it, RaSo is opting out after this season. He's auditioning right now for a team that needs a closer long term and it's my feeling that he'll get out of town. It makes sense, you can't blame him, he knows Mo is coming back and after this year's tasts of closing, he won't want to go back to setting up.

Soriano and the Yankees appear to have a very positive working relationship. Although, I wonder if he felt slighted when the Yanks unofficially put David Robertson in the closer role and then when DRob didn't quite handle it, he was the obvious fall back. I'm sure he's over it, but looking at him, watching his mind constantly working on the mound, reading his hat, pointing to the sky, he not only has confidence in himself, but he's also looking long term.
RaSo has to be opting out right? I mean, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com also floated that idea other day, (read HERE), but it's obvious right? I mean, sure with everything going on with the Yankees and their $189 million payroll by 2014, you have to really wonder what happens this of season, meaning, how big will they sign Robinson Cano for? Will Curtis Granderson still man center field for the New York Yankees? Will Mariano Rivera be back to close out a final season in the Bronx and with that, will Andy Pettitte come back in 2013 too? (Read about Pettitte HERE.) All of these are questions, and add in the money situation into the mix and what's left? Will Rafael Soriano stay or will he take a walk? Another question...  A lot of interesting questions and personnel issues, no easy answers.

Sure, we also have Joba Chamberlain and David Robertson who are logical next-in-line candidates for the close role after Mariano, but I need to be honest, I'm passing on DRob and going straight to Joba. Why? Well, it's my opinion that you don't want a closer that makes trouble for himself and then needs to work out of it. That's DRob, not every time, but enough. Joba at least chucks it in and says "here it is, try and hit it." Don't get on my case, but that's how I feel, and let's be honest, that's another post for another time.

Bottom line, I miss "the show" in Mariano Rivera, from the Enter Sandman opening, to the high five after the game's closed out. And sure, Soriano has been everything great about this Yankee ball club this season racking up his 40 plus saves, but it's nuts to me that Mariano's not out there.
Yeah, we found something new to attach ourselves to, the "Untuck", but there's something about Enter Sandman that gets that adrenaline running through my veins... That's my New York Yankees and I can't wait for Rivera to be back.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017