Sunday, July 1, 2012

MY FAVORITE YANKEE OLD TIMERS...

Old Timers' Day is hands down my favorite day in the baseball season. Watching the players I grew up with and even the ones my mom grew up with all on the field playing just makes me happy. Finally the day is here and I look down the list of guys and think about my favorites.
(In Photo: Yogi with Pedro Ramos)
It's Yogi Berra. Outside of an impressive career, there is just something about Yogi that you can’t help but love. Yogi, served in the US Navy during World War II from 1943- 1946. He then returned to baseball and went on to receive a laundry list of accolades, including three AL MVP awards and thirteen World Series Championships, both as a player and a manager. Yogi has a way of just making me happy whenever I see him. His smile seems so genuine and friendly that I cannot help but adore him.

Someone else I look forward to seeing in Tino Martinez. Tino is one of my childhood heroes. I was always in awe watching him at first base. I always felt that he had such large shoes to fill taking over for Don Mattingly and he did extremely well. My favorite memory of him was the 1997 Home Run Derby. He always seemed so confident.
When he came to Spring Training to help mentor Mark Teixeira, I was elated. Tino is one of the reasons I want to go to the Women's Mini-Fantasy Camp in Tampa.

But clearly there are others...Mickey Rivers, Willie Randolph, Bernie Williams and Goose Gossage, all great Yankees. This year, Gene Monahan is making his first appearance at Old Timers' Day and I love that they did that. Such a great idea.

This year I have the added bonus of having been able to get tickets to the Old Timers' game which has added to my excitement. I cannot wait to report back on this year's Old Timers' Game. Look for an exclusive report and pictures right here at Bleeding Yankee Blue!



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer




ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017