Monday, March 5, 2012

WHY FANS WILL MAKE THIS YANKEES, RED SOX RIVALRY BLOODIER THAN EVER

Growing up, the Yankees and the Red Sox were always a good ticket. I never went to a Yankees/Red Sox game until I was in my 20’s. To be honest, I never pushed to go, not because I didn’t want to, but I’m a strange Yankee-being, I would rather watch a big game in the comfort of my own home. Unlimited beer and my own bathroom for starters, but then, if I wanted to scream at the TV, I’ll do it, then sit back on my couch and relax. Don’t get me wrong, Yankee Stadium is the greatest place on earth, but that’s me, what can I say.

I remember for a while there in the late 70's and the early 80’s when I was younger, the Royals and the Yankees were a big deal. Led by George Brett, who I was convinced hated us, I wanted to beat him every single time. I remember the pine tar game as clear as day and I remember the rest of that makeup game. It was clear then that it was war.

I but it always went back to the Yankees and Red Sox. The games were a bloody battle. Some we’re blowouts over the years, but others were always close. Dave Roberts still haunts me to this day... we saw it unfolding before our eyes… we were all yelling at the TV at the same time collectively knowing that a steal was coming, but the mighty Yankees couldn’t hold on.

We got them back good in 2006 with the Boston Massacre when we beat them 5 straight and that was glorious of course. We also had the year Pedro Martinez was a real SOB and hitting our guys and god forbid we retaliated, it would be considered intentional. In 2009, the Yankees won it all and it finally felt great again. 2009 clicked, much like 1996 for me personally. 2011 was great for New York fans simply because the Red Sox weren’t good enough to get into the playoffs and even though we lost, we still believed and we do again right now.

2012 will be a big rivalry year. Sure, Bobby Valentine tried to stir the pot, but it won’t be the Yankees that blink with his blabber, it will be the fans. The Yankees and Red Sox will play hard every time they go out there, but this year, because of Bobby Valentine, the sock puppet of misrecollection, it will form a much more vicious fan base; Yankee fans and Red Sox fans alike. Sure, I remember many fights when I’d visit Fenway park in the past, and same with Yankee stadium, I even remember beer getting cut off in the 4th inning of the ARod, Varitek fight game. But for the most part, I get the Red Sox fans are just as passionate as us...they just love their team. I get it. This year however, everything will be bigger and more important. The Red Sox need to prove themselves and the Yankees need to show Valentine he doesn’t belong in baseball any longer...that's he's irrelevant. The fans will ultimately make this a season the rivalry will never forget... it will be a true bloody battle. May the best team win... Go Yankees!!!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017