Thursday, February 16, 2012

WHY SOMEHOW THE BURNETT DEAL WILL GET DONE

Marc Carig of the Star Ledger is probably better than anyone I’ve read over the years, he doesn’t write something until something happens and for that, I’m grateful... he doesn’t waste my time. I love the guy. Marc, Shout out my man. The latest from the Yankee camp is that the Yankees were dealing with 4 teams at one point and it’s wasn't just the Pittsburgh Pirates. You can read Carig HERE. This information comes from someone who is close to the situation who spoke under the condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing.

Clearly, or at least the way I read it, the New York Yankees were growing impatient with the Pirates and aren't too jazzed about which prospects they’re offering. That and the money situation, meaning Burnett’s remaining salary and how the Yanks and Pirates will need to divvy it up. I said last week that I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees were to convince the Pirates to take at least $13 to $15 of AJ’s remaining salary and I’m sticking with that. I wrote it HERE. Luckily, pros like Jon Heyman suggested it as well. They confirmed it, I guessed, but it’s simple thinking at this point, isn't it? The Yankees aren’t going to just give AJ Burnett away, they want something back, be it excellent players or a team eating a lot of Burnett’s salary… my only point is all of us know that makes sense.

Couple Marc’s piece in the Star Ledger with a Tweet from Jim Bowden HERE today and a George King piece HERE confirming this deals coming down Friday or "Saturday" and we're on our way. Right? AJ Burnett will be a Pirate by Sunday the way this is all playing out. To be honest, I expected this thing done LAST Sunday night… it’s amazing how things work.

But back to Marc’s piece. As you all know, it was the Pirates involved but also the Cleveland Indians and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. On the Angels front, Burnett didn’t want to go because he wanted to stay on the east coast, and the Indians talks stalled because the Indians took Travis Hafner off the table, or hey, maybe he was never ON the table. And so, it appears that it still goes back to Pittsburgh. Marc also brings in another interesting twist; perhaps, just perhaps Burnett could be involved in a 3 team transaction. Well…that’s new! I guess we all need to see what happens…it’s clear it’s all still unfolding.

Bottom line, Spring training is very close ladies and gentlemen and you need to give the Yankees credit, they want to get Burnett out of dodge before Spring Training to protect him from awkwardness. I truly believe that. Look, this may be business, but Burnett was a member of the Yankees and while he didn’t live up to expectations, he did his best. The deadline’s Saturday… will they get him traded by then? We shall see… stay tuned.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017