Tuesday, February 28, 2012

WHY FREDDY GARCIA'S EFFORT IS ALL FOR NAUGHT

Joel Sherman of the New York Post is well respected. I like him, but this story I find silly. To put it simply, we've heard all this winter the 5th spot in the rotation will be a competition. It was a safe assessment without anyone telling us that right? After all, the Yankees at one point had AJ Burnett, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia all competing, once AJ left, it was pretty obvious Freddy and Phil would then compete as well. It's probably the fairest way to handle the rotation spot right? Last season Freddy Garcia (12-8) was a big surprise for the Yankees and Phil Hughes was DOA with injury. He worked his way back, but it took all season. Fast forward to Sherman's piece which I find to be a tad irresponsible.

Today Sherman writes HERE that "Golden Boy" Hughes has already been "chosen" for the 5th guy in the Yankees rotation and the reason the Yankees mapped it out like it was going to be a competition between both Hughes and Garcia was so the veteran in Freddy won't "be offended. They do not want Hughes, who showed up out of shape last year, to feel he is being handed anything."
Look, bottom line is the Yankees are the Yankees, I didn't need to see their cards. If they have a plan, keep that plan private it's better for everyone, especially for Freddy Garcia. I just don't need to know and guess what, if Freddy proves himself this Spring and they give the 5th spot to Hughes, believe it or not, I have a problem with that. If Hughes wins the "competition" over Garcia because he was better or had the edge, then give it to Hughes, but all this story does for Freddy Garcia's morale is kills him softly. If I'm Freddy Garcia I'm thinking "Why try to climb a hill if you know you can't climb it." Why, in other words, would someone reveal this to Sherman and why would Sherman print it. I found this to be weird and it doesn't help anyone.

Look, may the best man win, that's how I see it. I want a competition and yeah, while in the past Garcia has mentioned he'd even except a long man role in the pen, you need to let him find his way and the same goes for Hughes. These are the New York Yankees we're talking about, people want to compete and get a spot on this team, the competition should be equal, no crowning yet.

Sherman writes that Cashman said of Hughes: “Aside from last year he was viewed, and not just by us, as one of the better young arms in the game; with success to prove it. He was a dominant reliever for us in 2009 and an All-Star as a starter in 2010. Why would I judge him by last year when he was injured? It feels like everyone wants to take him down a peg. I think he is a top-of-the-rotation starter.”

Listen, sure, Cashman makes a point, but let's be honest, we as Yankee fans have heard not a single thing about Phil Hughes velocity this spring except from the New York Daily News who says Hughes shows signs of old form HERE. And if he looks good now, will that change? The point is while Phil Hughes is the Golden Boy, and we all know it, I guess I was hoping for the Yankees to just pull the wool over ALL of our eyes, even Freddy Garcia, for the sake of us looking forward to the "competition" or for the sake of at least getting the best out of Freddy before they break the news to him. I don't know, I just thought maybe, it could have been handled better, from the Yankee brass on down the line to Sherman.

I laugh because 1 week ago I was annoyed by the way Andrew Marchand had it pegged that Hughes was already set to be placed in the Yankees minor leagues, read HERE. Now Phil's already been awarded the 5th spot. I guess it's who you talk to huh?

I'm not looking to root for either man, I like Hughes just as much as I like Garcia, I just felt like the whole mentality of "may the best man win" made more sense than to fight a losing battle... especially if your Freddy Garcia, that's all.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017