Saturday, January 28, 2012

WHY AROD AS SOLE DH DOESN'T WORK

You can’t have a guy like Alex Rodriguez be your full time designated hitter. I respect so many of my fellow bloggers who believe that Alex in that slot would be a good idea, HERE for instance, but there is no way in the hell the Yankees do that and yes, it all goes back to Yankee ego and a bad contract. This is what I think...

Alex is owed a ton of money and still will be with us through 2017. Yes, that’s a long time, but it’s 2012 now. Alex not only transformed into a third baseman for the New York Yankees, he’s actually great at it defensively. For the Yankees to remove him leaves a huge hole. In my opinion, there may be no one better at the position.

You also have to think about it this way. Alex and the Yankees agreed on 10 years and $275 million. OK, that’s ridiculous and it was when he signed it. It’s more ridiculous now and that’s because the guy was injured last season, so on the surface, it appears the guys breaking down and on his way out. But while he's 36, he ONLY 36, meaning, he can still play the hot corner, at least for a few more years. Cal Ripken did it, why can't Alex? Look ladies and gentlemen, this is pro sports, it's true, players get hurt, it’s a roll of the dice every day, but I believe 2012 will be big for a healthy Alex Rodriguez. Plus, the Yankees want to get the most out of there ridiciulous investment, so they will use Alex as much as they can at third base and getting Alex as many At Bats as they can. Why? They have their eye on the prize. They want Alex to bring the All-time home run record back home to the Bronx again. That’s it…that’s the reason this contract happened. It’s not about Alex as much as it is about the record. That’s my opinion at least.

Finally, and we've talked about this all winter…why would you give a ton of money and years to a player who can hit home runs to JUST be your DH? You normally wouldn't. The debate came up with Prince Fielder for instance. In the end, the Tigers will put him at first base and NOT a full time DH. Sure, Prince is younger, but I’m telling you, I can’t see it happening. My thought process is, if your paying a ton, you are not going to have a player sit on the bench all season, just to hit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't can't see it.

Now, overtime, yes, things will change and to get Alex those At-Bats he needs to break that home run record, I have no doubt by 2015 or 2016, Alex Rodriguez turns into our full-time DH... but not now. God, getting old is a bitch, isn’t it? To think that guys like Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez may one day be old men is crazy to me, but it happens and near the end of Alex’s career with the New York Yankees, he will be the full-time DH. But for now… well, I just don’t see it. Instead, I see guys like Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui or a Raul Ibanez to fill that role… guys at the end of their careers to pick up the slack, but not Alex, not now. But hey, what the hell do I know.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017