Sunday, December 4, 2011

THE AGONY OF DEFEAT

Sports are a crazy thing. In any sport, the thrill of victory is so rewarding, especially if your out there yourself and not watching a contest on TV. Each team usually has a hero and as a parent, you really want your kid to be that hero, at least once in a while.

I have 2 sons that are competitive in sports. My oldest sons fall baseball league had just ended over 2 weeks ago now and his team’s dreams were crushed not making it to the playoffs after the day before, my son got the winning run in a walk off on a wild throw to the catcher. The coach was screaming at him to stay at third, but my kid saw an opportunity and went for it. You gotta love that. The team piled on him at home plate and the next game was a must win. If they won that one, they made it to the playoffs. That didn’t happen and their season ended there, but the memory of the walkoff will be something my kid will never forget.

My other son is competitive in swimming and last year he started slow but by the last swim meet, he won first place. He went from not placing at all to taking a 3rd place spot, to 2nd and finally, like a fairy tale, won first place his last meet. He knew he accomplished something huge, for him and for us as parents. This year it’s more competitive and slow going and now, after his 3rd meet he scored a 3rd place in freestyle. The field has many more kids and it’s a lot tougher and losing sucks for anyone, but for a 7 year old, it’s the end of the world. We have never pushed our kids so we aren’t now, but you can see it in his face, it’s bothering him.

The agony of defeat. Losing is part of it and we don’t teach that enough. At such an early age, we are trained that winning is the only thing. Why? Is it because we don’t like the feeling of losing? I am slowly realizing, probably because now I have children, how important it is for them to lose just once in their lives so they can kick the shit out of that feeling the next time around. Losing is a poison and it will deflate you, and make you want to give up. The good news is, my kids are not quiters. They’ll bitch and moan that they want to blow off a meet or a game, but they’re bitching about it while they're suiting up. Sure, it’s easy to blow it off, but what is that teaching you? The reality is, you never know, that day could be your day. Sports trains you for life. You succeed and you will as you get older because you know there’s a finish line with everything and once you get that feeling of losing...well, you never want it again, no matter what.

I guess the point of this post is to just tell you how proud I am of my guys. Yeah, this site is about Yankee baseball, but I equate the Yankees with winning and never giving up. My guys are learning life lessons out on the field and in the pool every competition. That’s nothing I taught them, it’s teamwork, it’s themselves, it’s their own feelings teaching them what is a great win, and what is a crappy loss. Goals are key, if you don’t use them with your kids, try it. Instead of winning 1st every time, Ask them to win 3rd, or just hit the ball once, for that competition… then up the ante. Too much pressure on a kid will turn them off. Look, I’m no super parent, I just see it in my guys and I know they’re learning. Building blocks are key. Looking around over the years and watching some of these kids getting trophies for last place doesn't exactly jive with me. Why? Because they haven't won anything, but they think they did. I don't remember the Baltimore Orioles getting a last place trophy this season, do you? The point is getting that taste of losing 1 time will prove to you that you need to try harder the next time... and never give up. It's a life lesson, it the Yankee way and thankfully... my kids are learning about that right now and hopefully, over time, I'll see these guys owning swim meets and baseball games, for their team, for themselves... for the win.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017