Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WHY POSADA NEEDS TO GO FOR IT

Jorge Posada says going back the the New York Yankees is "not going to happen." Read the full story HERE. He did say that 5 or 6 teams are interested in speaking with him. Well, I have 1 thing to say to Mr. Posada... Go for it!

Earlier today I was reading a piece on ESPN.com about Joe Torre and in it I could see that even Papa Joe understood what Jorge Posada was going through and when Torre speaks, I tend to listen. I have tremendous respect for Mr. Torre and I always have. How could a man who had a losing managerial record like he did, come to New York and become one of the most successful managers ever? He never gave up on himself, that’s how. He’s seen players like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera grow up and he loves and respects those guys like family. So, it’s only fitting that he, Papa Joe has his opinion of Jorge.

At a benefit for ALS in New York, Torre said of Jorge: “It’s really tough when you play with one team and create the relationships that he has all these years. It’s probably going to be tough to think about going somewhere else.” Read it all HERE. Obviously, it makes sense, but when Torre says it, it hits home.

Now, hours later, Jorge Posada spoke for himself. Jorge Posada, one of my favorite Yankees, saw the writing on the wall and knows that his time is up in the Bronx. You need to tip your cap, you need to applaud him and I finally realized today that Jorge Posada should turn the page.

Posada is a New York Yankee, this is true. Not only can I not see him in another uniform, it’s almost illegal. Posada bleeds Yankee blue. Posada should probably retire a New York Yankee and selfishly, that’s what I want, but at the same time, I want to see Posada go balls out for another team, not the Red Sox of course, but another team to say “Hey, I still got it. I believe Jorge Posada can still be a catcher. I know, I know, after a full 2011 of not catching, I still believe in this guy. Why? Because like I said about Joe Torre, I say about Jorge, he never gives up... he’s blood and guts and deserves to be able to turn it on somewhere else...after all, it’s only right.

We saw Posada literally audition for a job in the ALDS. He kicked some ass hitting .429 and he proved to plenty of teams looking for some catching help that Jorge Posada is not dead and buried... Instead, he was just getting back in the groove.

If I had to choose from a fan's perspective, retiring a New York Yankee makes sense. But, from a peer perspective, I know the hunger in Jorge’s heart right now. We are the same age and I know that drive you feel in your heart when the world is telling you "No", but you know the answer is "Yes." As one peer to another, I see Jorge having 1 last shot somewhere else. For closure, for his mental psyche and for his family...bottom line, Jorge Posada needs to go for it. I realized something today reading about Posada; No matter what happens, no matter what team he may sign with, Jorge Posada is already cemented in history as one of the best Yankees ever. Another uniform won’t change that…and damnit, I'm at peace with that finally.

So Jorge, We salute you. Thank you for the memories... now GO FOR IT!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017