Monday, November 21, 2011

WHY THE MOST VALUABLE PITCHER ROBBED THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

"When I got the phone call, I couldn’t believe it." --Justin Verlander
Guess what Justin... we couldn't believe it either. (Read the story HERE.) In fact, I was outraged! This afternoon, Justin Verlander was named AL MVP. My immediate reaction was WTF?? I never thought in a million years he would win the MVP, after all, he is a pitcher and while it's been done twice before with Dennis Eckersley and Roger Clemens, I just didn't see it. There was a lot of great baseball played this season...by players, not pitchers. Jacoby Ellsbury, Grandy, even Jose Bautista had a good season and MVP worthy. It came as a complete surprise to me that a pitcher won.
Although Verlander had amazing stats that blew away every other pitcher's stats, he is still not deserving of the MVP. he's just not, in fact, as great as it is for him to win the award, it's clear to me that he robbed legit players. In my opinion, Curtis Granderson, Robinson Cano or Miguel Cabrera should have taken it home. They completely led their teams to the playoffs and posted incredible numbers. Look, Justin Verlander is our AL MVP now, but I disagree with this decision because pitchers have their own award, the Cy Young and why they are even eligible for the MVP is something I cannot comprehend. Starting pitchers appear in 30 plus games a season... position players usually play anywhere from 140-162 games in a season. I just find awarding Verlander this award is disappointing.

Trust me on this, I'm being mild about this...be sure to check Bleeding Yankee Blue tomorrow morning for Casey's rant. Lord knows how he'll react...ha ha!



--Will Cohen, BYB Staff Writer



Please comment, we have DISQUS. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017