Wednesday, July 6, 2011

WHY JETER GETS CLOSER, BUT YANKEES LOSE

(Photo: NY Times)
The Yankees just had nothing in the tank tonight until the 9th and by then, it was too late. The Indians pitching was brilliant and the Yankees were flat. Is this any way to treat the Captain as he is about to embark on 3000 hits? Hmm. That's me dripping with sarcasm.

Look bottom line, the Yankees didn't have anything tonight based on great pitching by Cleveland and that's that. Turn the page. You can harp on this game all you want, but you shouldn't because it's over.(Photo: Reuters)
Tonight was Phil Hughes big night. To tell you the truth, if Justin Masterson wasn't pitching, Hughes may have gotten his first win of the year. The trouble was the Yankees just couldn't get it together, Masterson was lights out. Hughes had a tough first inning but it changed. He pitched 5 innings, held the Indians to 2 runs on 5 hits and walked 2. His fastball was between 92 and 93 MPH. He settled down and his velocity was up, that's what was important.(Photo: US Presswire)
The Captain is now 3 hits away from 3000. His hit tonight, a double, was a beautiful shot to right field and the world is watching Derek, so Derek, do your thing. I feel just as nervous as Derek must feel right now. Mikey Blue and I collected his rookie cards before Jeter ever stepped foot in Yankee Stadium back in 1992 and 1993. I have watched him his entire career, I love the guy and I love his leadership. Believe me, I watch him every at bat and while he looks cool as a cucumber, his nerves are going crazy, believe me. Now I understand why Roger Maris said he was losing hair during his run for 61. It must be nuts.

And can I ask you a question? Why is Sergio Mitre pitching in any game for the Yankees? Why? Sergio Mitre is probably a great teammate and a real nice guy. But I think he's done. Girardi's man crush for Sergio Mitre is at this point about to break worldwide on TMZ. It's ridiculous, he doesn't belong in a game for the Yankees. The Yankees are a team made up of contenders, not mop up guys. Never pitch this guy Joe, ever. Hell, I'd rather pickup Chad Gaudin again... seriously, I would.

Final Score tonight: Indians 5 - Yankees 3. It's Rays time tomorrow, get ready New York.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Masterson has given the Yankees problems since his days in Boston. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Yankees lost to him in their last meeting as well. He's a great pitcher with an incredible fastball; it's more disappointing to me that the Yankees lost the series after the streak they were on.

    So Jeter is only 3 hits away. I think I speak for most fans when I say that I'll be happy when he gets it so that the hysteria can be over and he can just settle in and go on a tear. If he can continue hitting while A-Rod, Grandy and Swisher stay hot, this team will be unstoppable.

    And congrats to Hughes on a solid comeback. Allowing only 2 runs in five frames and throwing the majority of his pitches for strikes after being out since April, ain't bad at all. Had Masterson not been so "masterful," the Yankees might have gotten the win last night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017