Saturday, July 23, 2011

WHY I DIG BRANDON LAIRD

"I'm still speechless. It's just a dream come true." --Brandon Laird tells ESPN
(Photo: Getty)
Last night was very cool for a 23 year old like Brandon Laird. Sure, he was a New York Yankee and that was great, but he was playing in the Bronx in front of us fans and in front of his family. That would be enough to give you chills, but to top that off, he got his first hit and his first RBI of his Major League career and I think we have something here. The best part is, today he will start his first game and no one is happier than me.

ESPN had a great nugget which I missed last night. It turns out Laird was a pinch hitter in the seventh inning for Derek Jeter. That's not the nugget, the nugget is the reaction from Nick Swisher:

"When he picked up a helmet in the Yankee dugout, Nick Swisher was confused. 'I was like, 'What do you think you're doing?' Swisher said with a laugh."(Photo: Getty)
Brandon Laird was called up during the Rays series and I quickly wrote WHY I CHOOSE LAIRD OVER NUNEZ. I was immediately debated publicly on Facebook which is the reaction I was going for. But again, let me reiterate. I'm not saying I don't like Eduardo Nunez. What I don't like are his errors and all I am suggesting is we give Brandon Laird a shot at 3rd, just to see what the kid's got. After all, Nunez didn't exactly earn the third base role for his defense, we all know it's for his offense, which is superb. Luckily for us, we will see if Laird has what it takes to be a big league third baseman, today is his day.

Laird by the way is a former 27th round pick. Brandon's brother Gerald is a member of a St. Louis Cardinals. This is a baseball family. Like so many families before; the Hairston's which consisted of Jerry Hairston, who played for the White Sox in the 80's and his sons Jerry Hairston Jr. and Scott Hairston. Then you have of course, the Griffey's and the Swishers. Yup. Nick Swisher's dad Steve Swisher played before him. There are so many baseball families. If you're a card collector, have fun looking for those gems. Check out Steve Swisher below. The point is, I like the trend and I'm rooting for Laird. If Brandon can compete on a major league level and share responsibility with Nunez at third, the worry of filling the void until A-Rod comes back goes away, plus, Laird can also fill in at first base and outfield. Diversity is important and it's an advantage for Laird.

Good luck today pal, do your thing today, you know I'm rooting for you.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017