Thursday, March 3, 2011

WHY THINGS ARE FALLING INTO PLACE

No one wants to root against a Yankee player if your a fan like me. But in a sick mind trick, I was OK with Francisco Cervelli fouling a ball off his foot and getting hurt. (I'm going to hell.) I know, I'm a cheerleader for the guy. But in the back of my mind I was thinking "OK, the injury isn't serious. This means more playing time for Jesus this spring."

Selfishly, I want Jesus Montero to succeed. It sucks to feel this way, just push Cervelli aside and On to the Next One, but the reality is, Montero can't shine without extra help. Meaning simply, if Cervelli, who's also fighting for a catching job gets a little banged up in the process, so be it. Getting Montero behind the plate as much as possible is a good thing.

The good news is many are liking what they see from Montero already, and it's not just with his bat, which we all already love, it's his defense. David Robertson puts it best:

“I first saw him when I signed here and it’s amazing how much better he has gotten, He sets up good, blocks balls in the dirt and stays down. He looks good.”

I love this quote because that's coming from a pitcher, Montero's battery mate who depends on his catcher. Montero also threw out 2 Pirates on steal attempts the other day, so clearly, things are clicking for this young man.My thinking is this, the more playing time, the more face time, the better chance this kids got to go pro and come to the Bronx. After all, we all know his talent, but seeing it is believing it...and I believe in Jesus.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. one problem is now aj has to work without his personal catcher

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017