Saturday, March 5, 2011

WHY IT'S NOT GOOD(EN)

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I have a hard time accepting Dwight Gooden going to appear on Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab.

First off, to me, Dwight Gooden will always be a New York Met. Except for that one moment in 1996 when he threw a no-hitter for the Yanks and got a ring in that terrific season.

I know what George was trying to do with Gooden and Straw back then. He was allowing them to believe in themselves again because the talent was there, they just needed a chance and they needed the hunger back. They did and they thrived and we loved them again. But for God sake, the whole rehab on camera is kind of a circus isn't it? It's clear the Gooden needs help and money and hopefully he'll get both, but it's almost disappointing to see our heroes like this.

Look, if it works, that's great, but it's hard to swallow. Players like Gooden, Strawberry, Leyritz have amazing flashes of greatness, and I guess for me, seeing where they've fallen is sad. I'd prefer they just do what they have to do without the cameras, focusing on family and staying clean privately and then surface one day as new men...or not, but at least go down trying. Otherwise, it becomes a spectacle, something no one needs, or wants.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017