Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WHY JENNY CRAIG'S IN TAMPA...MAYBE

Well, if the reports are correct, then all you Joba fans need to get ready for an interesting season from Mr. Chubby, Joba Chamberlain. Check out the New York Post blog HERE. 10- 15 pounds is big bro.

Apparently Joba showed up to camp a little chunkier. Let's not call him fat... How about "big boned." No, No, No... husky, that's it.

Joba apparently put on a couple pounds this off season. Some are reporting he gained weight hinting that it's fat. Others are suggesting Joba gained muscle. Joba says he feels more comfort with the new "muscle". I don't think it's muscle, I think he sat on the couch all winter.

If my theory is correct, why is a 25 year old kid who pitches for the New York Yankees not living up to his end of the bargain and be an athlete? It makes no sense to me. If I'm Joba Chamberlain, I'm concerned about my future with the Yankees. Cashman's been talking about Joba on the trading block since January and there's no guarantee he's sticking around unless he proves himself in 2011. I'd be training hard in the off season. I'd be in Rocky mode, all December getting in the best shape of my life. In fairness, maybe that's what Joba did, maybe it really IS muscle.

I could be wrong, but my guess is, if Joba shows up to camp and all the blogs and articles write about weight gain, I'm thinking gaining muscle isn't a story but showing up to camp chubby IS the story. All the reports can't be wrong.

Look, I like Joba, a lot. I know he's got it in him to be a great Yankees pitcher. I have faith in him, I'm just worried he's going the route of Hideki Irabu.

If Joba is out of shape, we have a problem, and God forbid things aren't working out this spring, we have 3 things that can happen:

1. Stick with him and let him work out the kinks and work off the weight.
2. Trade him by the deadline
3. Ship him down to AAA and fix him.

The last thing I would want as Joba Chamberlain is to worry that I would show up at camp with the new nickname... Joba the Hutt. This is drama we just don't need.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017