Wednesday, January 3, 2018

TIME FOR SOME NEW CHAMPIONSHIP GEAR


The holidays have come and gone and now with 2018 here, I have a confession to make.  I am getting older and so are my kids.  My son was in middle school when the Yankees last won the World Series.  And you know what? All of his championship gear is too small.


I came to this realization while shopping at a sports shop in my neighborhood mall.  Yes, in New Jersey, we have neighborhood malls like other cities and towns have neighborhood hardware stores, delis and pharmacies.  So, while shopping, I went to the back of the sports store and I found a goldmine:  80% off 2009 NY Yankees championship caps and shirts.  I quickly scooped up a couple of caps and a sweatshirt for my son, the now junior in college.  The 2009 championship is old and my kids are old, which again makes me old.


The Yankees have to win a championship this year just so I can freshen up our gear.  I mean, we can't continue to go to thrifts shops like my son did up in Syracuse, NY so he could have a World Series long sleeve tee that fit him as a now 20-year-old.  We just have to win again.


Keep in mind, we don't buy Wild Card, ALDS or ALCS gear.  It is bad luck to do so.  We buy the World Series championship stuff, the important stuff, bragging rights stuff.  So the torn, faded, now small World Series gear need a refresh and that refresh has to be in 2018.


In order to keep us from going insane, going to thrift shops, and seeking out bargain basement Yankee championship clothing, the Yankees have to win.  It would be nice for them to do this convincingly so we don't have to sweat it out, but with the Yankees and any other contending team, it is never an easy road and we all have to be alright with that.



With Spring Training only 40+ days away, and the Yankees a couple of more trades/transactions from having their finishing pieces, let's stay focused on winning, ending the championship drought and taking the team all the way into to October.  Eye on the prize...and the gear!



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017