Sunday, June 19, 2016

MOM IS MY DAD TOO


Seven years ago my father passed away after he completed the NYC Marathon.  It was a long road to find myself after I lost my dad that day, but I did.  Sure, he will always be in my heart and I will tear up when I think of his words, I smell his scent nearby or get this feeling in the pit of stomach.  But, I have battled back and found myself.  There were people with me along the journey.  There were friends, there were experiences and there was my mom.  Whether it was having a glass of wine, shopping for flip flops, going to the beach, or talking the Yankees, mom was there.  Mom is my Dad too.


Yesterday, my friend Joe took his final vows to become a priest.  He was called to this profession late in life, as he is in his fifties.  Just a nice guy from Brooklyn, career changing from being an every day Joe to Fr. Joe.  He is a father to many young mentees, some looking to find their way and others ready to follow in his same footsteps to the priesthood.


I think it is fitting to remember those every day people who have stepped in to support us where ever we are in our trajectory of life.  These days for the Yankees, I see Carlos Beltran "ordained" as head mentor to a team that needs not only leadership but offense.


"Honestly, all I'm trying to do is just be consistent and put up good at-bats," said Beltran, who hit his 18th home run in the Yankees' 7-6 victory on Saturday. "Right now it seems like I'm getting good results. When you play 162 games, you've got to be aware that you're going to have good times, you're going to have not such good times in the game of baseball," reported MLB.com yesterday.


Today is a day to remember those who lift us.  Those "dads", those "moms", those friends who have carried us and helped us make meaning from the challenges we face and moments where we feel lost. Like that day last week when my friend bought me a Yankee hat for no particular reason except she thought I needed a new Yankee hat.  Hold onto those people who understand your passions and feed them.  Happy Father's Day to you and yours, moms too.




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof






Thank you for your loyalty to Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Please shop at the BYB store!
On Twitter: @BleednYankeeBlu
On Facebook, LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue!
Don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017