Sunday, January 24, 2016
CESPEDES STAYING PUT WITH THE METS!
After all the waiting, Yoenis Cespedes is staying in New York with the Mets.
The slugging outfielder agreed to the deal late Friday ESPN reports. His haul will be $75 million over three years and includes an opt out clause after the first year.
Cespedes had one of his best seasons last year after arriving to the Mets—he finished the 2015 campaign with 35 home runs and 105 RBIs. So why did it take so long for him to be plucked from free agency?
As BYB has noted previously, this year’s market had nearly two dozen outfielders up for grabs including marquee players like Justin Upton (who also just signed a deal recently), Alex Gordon, Denard Span, and Jason Hayward. In fact, Yahoo! Sports notes there is enough quality free agents left on the market in January to field an entire team.
So what gives?
One observation is that many teams that have traditionally spent big money are holding back this year. Angels owner Arte Moreno, perhaps still smarting from the Josh Hamilton bust, said early in the fall that he would not be fronting tons of money to fill his void in the outfield. The Yanks also seems to be holding on to their pocketbook as they wait for other contracts to expire says FOX Sports analyst Ken Rosenthal.
Pair this unwillingness to spend with a glut of available talent (the Braves and Reds basically put everyone out for grabs) and lack of trade options and you basically have a buyers market for players.
But don’t feel too bad that Cespedes had to wait so long. His new salary puts him on par with Giancarlo Stanton as one of the highest ever paid to an outfielder. That’s a lot of coffee table books.
--Alexis Garcia, BYB's "Eye on MLB" Columnist &
Los Angeles Dodger fan
Thank you for your loyalty to Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Please shop at the BYB store!
On Twitter: @BleednYankeeBlu
On Facebook, LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue!
Don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.