Tuesday, December 8, 2015

WINTER MEETINGS, BAH HUMBUG


Music City is hosting this year's Major League Baseball Winter Meetings.  It is being held at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center and welcomes more than 3,000 baseball executives.  It's been an event that we have been chatting about over the past few weeks as if something magical is going to happen there for the Yankees.  I guess it is no surprise that we have been rather ho-hum about the Yankees, their prospects and the opportunity to do something great next season.  I suppose it is too early to say, but given their track record over the last couple of years, it is hard to be spirited.


The other evening a friend of mine and Yankee fan said to me "there is no such thing as dynasties in baseball anymore.  It is one and done because of free agency and the possibility of making more."  He's right and that makes me feel even more Ba Humbug about the Winter Meetings.


A bunch of stuffed shirts get together, hang out at a beautiful resort and talk about who is giving up whom for what.  They do this over beer tastings, massages, cocktail events and oh, yes, meetings. And the media follow them around to get the inside scoop.  It is hard to get excited about James Shields, when you think about the price tags associated with the most recent transactions, David Price and Zack Greinke.


And when the Yankees ponder giving up their best prospects, like Aaron Judge, for what they believe is the best starting pitching prospect in baseball, Marlins Jose Fernandez, I get sick to my stomach.


Baseball, aka Money Ball, has really made me feel less like a fan than ever. Gone are the days of simplicity...everything is big.  Could I actually be bored about baseball?


As I decorate our Christmas tree for the holidays and carefully place each World Series ornament on the tree, I become nostalgic about the teams that made us proud.  It's not easy to get to the top of the baseball tree, but we have done it 27 times, always hoping for #28.  So although dynasties are not common place today, there will always be a big battle for the ultimate trophy and there will always be Winter Meetings to keep us hopeful for things to come.  Here's my message: MLB unless you show me more than just luxury and laughs, I say Bah Humbug to the Winter Meetings 2016.




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store! Follow me on Twitter@BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook! Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017