Sunday, April 26, 2015

NOT PAYING AROD FOR HIS MILESTONE LOOKS BAD FOR THE YANKEES


When the Yankees and Alex Rodriguez made their deal a while back and there were marketing incentives for milestones added into ARod's contract, you as a fan would be foolish to think that the Yankees were not aware of Alex Rodriguez and his controversy. Back then, many had it in the back of their minds... the Yankees certainly did.  Did we think PEDs was part of it? I know people that believe Alex was always a juicer.  For me personally, I just don't know.  I do know what I know right now. and it's disappointing, but I also believe that the Yankees had to have some inkling into Alex's dabbling when the milestone part of that contract went down.


Now though, years later and after the confessions and lawsuits and 1 year suspension Alex Rodriguez is back and playing for the Yankees again.  He hasn't run his mouth off this year. He's focused on his job, hitting the ball and knocking in runs.  For many of us fans, we love that.  Even the haters have been silent. That's because the Yankees are winning.

But now we've reached a potential powder keg.  660 home runs is right around the corner and if Alex Rodriguez hits it, he'll reach a marketing milestone, and that is when the Yankees are supposed to pay him $6 million.  Here's the catch though; because the Yankees feel as though PEDs were apart of his home run chase... they claim to not be willing to pay Alex Rodriguez.  They'll claim it wasn't legit or something.  Sure... I see their point, but Craig Calcaterra of Hardball Talk makes a great point:
"I noted in the past that this marketing agreement is not a part of A-Rod’s player contract. It can’t be because player contracts are not allowed to contain statistical incentives outside of games played or finished. This is a separate agreement and, as such, it may not have the same sorts of guarantees that normal contracts have. Put differently, depending on the language and mechanics of the marketing agreement, the Yankees could have some defensible basis for withholding the money...they have 30 days to make the designation and then pay out to A-Rod. If they don’t, A-Rod files a grievance and it’s heard by baseball’s arbitrator. "

What's worse, if you've been following the ARod saga all these years, you know how tricky it's been to be Alex in the Bronx.  Now, with this new incentive bonus... it could get really nasty.   You know the media... they will jump on this harder than anything they ever have. There will be attacks against Alex Rodriguez. They'll batter the Yankees as for agreeing to the deal and then trying to change their mind and of course, there will be microphones in their faces and that just opens up a pure hell of  "attacks" and nasty soundbites between each party.  It's bound to be a worst circus than it's ever has been.  All I have to say is it sucks if you're a Yankee fan.  Why? Well, quite simply because for the first time since 2004, ARod is doing his damn job. So far, it's been quiet, and it's been great.  The controversies for now are over and we're actually playing ball.  It's wonderful actually.


But if the Yankees withhold payment it goes down hill.  If that happens, and I'm Alex Rodriguez, I demand that money.  Why? Because I've learned my lesson and I'm a millionaire and I've done much in my career, but now I'd go public;  "The Yankees are withholding $6 million on an agreement we've made that I wanted to give to charity."  That's right, I went there.  If the Yankees are going to withhold my money, I'm taking it further if I'm Alex Rodriguez.  I would be simply 'outraged' that the Yankees wouldn't allow me to take my reward and give it all away to an inner city charity of even to a school in Miami to build a baseball field for under-privileged kids. I'd make it hard on the Yankees, because the Yanks shouldn't be withholding anything.


The Yankees have an important role, just as Alex Rodriguez has, they need to pay the man.  They also need to acknowledge that if ARod hits 660 home runs, tying Willie Mays is kind of a big deal, juice or no juice.  We're in too deep at this point. You can't just withhold payment on something you agreed on and no doubt knew about before all of this actually happened.  Think about it; PEDs and Alex have been under suspicion since Texas.  I am convinced the Yankees knew what they were getting with ARod and it's disappointing now that they're trying to save $6 million on principal, meanwhile they pay Carlos Beltran how much money for 3 years? And he's not even that good anymore. I mean... pick your battles Yanks... you were at the meeting. You know who you were making a deal with. Now get ready to pay the man.


Let me also give you all alittle extra.  I am not an ARod fan. I am a Yankee fan.  Sure, that makes no sense after reading what you just read, but the point is clear, the parties involved had 1 thing in mind back when they made this marketing milestone deal with Alex Rodriguez.  Yankee brass wanted the All-Time Home Run record back in New York. That is why they signed Alex when they did.  They weren't banking on ARod to be revealed as a big fraud.  They were eyeing big profits down the road.

Now they're stuck with a tainted player and a guy who has shown up to work in 2015, after his suspension, ready to knock in runs.  Alex appears to be a new man, and he's still a New York Yankee. Unless Alex murders someone before he hits 660 home runs, I find it hard to believe that the Yankees feel as though they have a truly valid reason for NOT paying Alex. And I'm telling you this, if Alex was smart, he should get ahead of this right now, and suggest the money he receives would go to a charity because "he's a new man."  If the Yankees don't pay then... well... they'll look pretty dumb.

Hey, this is just my take.  I'm sure you have yours.


 Be Read. Get Known.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017