Saturday, March 22, 2014

TOMMY LA STELLA COULD BE A PERFECT FIT FOR NEW YORK


Sure, the Yankees have Brian Roberts at second these days since Robinson Cano took the money and moved to Seattle.  Now, we all know that Cano is a great second baseman, but never exactly had the fire in the belly, at least that's what I think.  He did it with ease, and that’s probably what annoyed me all these years about Cano.  Anyway, look, it’s not our problem anymore if you love Yankeeland. The talented second baseman found a new home… and life goes on.

The only reason why I’m even bringing it up is because there is a kid that I’m absolutely gushing over… and the kid's homegrown, meaning, from my area.  I speak of “our guys” a lot here on BYB.   You know, players that you watch move up the ranks and follow, because they're local guys and they’re doing things the others aren’t. 
(In Photo: Doug Cinnella)
They’re guys like a Doug Cinnella in the 90's,  like Rob Segedin, a farmhand now with the Yankees. Guys like a Rob Kaminsky , and if you’re from North Jersey you know him. And even guys like Tommy La Stella, a second baseman prospect for the Atlanta Braves that has the energy, pride and respect for the game like nothing I've seen in a long time.


This kid wants it and it’s evident the way he mans the position.

I was reading Mark Bowman of MLB.com the other day, in fact it was from his March 18th article, right around the time the Yanks played Atlanta.  In it, La Stella talks about finding his way through baseball. He spoke of his loving family, and believing in himself and what he could accomplish on the diamond. Bowman’s subtitle says it simply, but then expands quite well on what could possibly be the most recent bright moment in North Jersey baseball.  The subtitle… “Braves second baseman beginning to knock on door of the big leagues.” Sure, but that’s just the start.  Have you seen this guy turn 2? Have you seen this guy hit? He’s a warrior, he's scrappy and he needs the proper recognition he deserves. What I would do to get him to the Bronx if I was Brian Cashman. This kid's got a future.

There are some unique quotes from this kid, and good job by Mark Bowman. Check this out: “… As La Stella has impressed during his first big league camp and created further reason to wonder when he might be given a shot to serve as Atlanta's starting second baseman, he has not lost sight of what he learned when his parents forced him to get a job after he abruptly quit playing baseball during the summer leading into his senior year at St. Joseph Regional High School in Montvale, N.J.

"It was really a perspective issue," La Stella said of his decision to briefly stop playing. "It was one of those things where I really didn't understand just how blessed and fortunate I was to be able to do what I had been doing. It took me stepping away from the game and realizing that I'm very lucky and fortunate to be able to do.

'Thank God for my parents, because they made me go out and get a job. Getting the job really gave me the perspective I needed to really get back into it and realize that I have a gift and [I was] wasting my talent.'


…his parents did not allow him to remain idle. Instead, they led him through a job search that ultimately landed him employment at a farm stand.

Along with delivering bales of hay that would be used for Halloween arrangements, La Stella had a wide range of responsibilities, none of which was more influential than the task of feeding an uncooperative donkey.

'Every night when I would go to feed this donkey, as I was carrying that bucket of food out there, I was thinking, 'What am I doing?'' La Stella said. 'I could be playing ball…'”

I love this kid. It's a great life lesson as well. Look, sometimes you actually need to step away from something you love to realize what you actually have.  Kudos to Bowman for capturing that moment. Kudos to La Stella for opening his eyes and seeing the big picture.  If he didn’t, who knows if he would be trying to make it to the Bigs these days. He could have been pumping gas.


La Stella’s an inspiration to all kids.  We all have kids in our own lives struggling in sports, many of us do at least. As they get older, the competition becomes tougher. That’s when frustration builds. That’s when there’s a drop off and that’s when you see who the champions really are.  "The quitters find a new hobby or new activity… the champions work and climb the mountain", or so they say.   It’s hard as hell to stay with it, that's for sure. Sometimes, like La Stella, you need to walk away to see the big picture… but never quit on yourself.  Believe.

I am a Tommy La Stella fan.  He’s courageous, he’s talented and I wish I was able to get him over to New York one day. Who knows, maybe they're eyeing him right now. Maybe the Braves aren't interested in giving him away either.  The Yanks could use his youth, desire and perseverance.  He’s got guts and I want you all to follow this kid wherever he ends up… he’s got his head on straight… like Ty Hensley, like Dante Bichette, like Tyler Austin… all these kids want are chances.  They’re working their tails off… they believe, they’re just looking for the window of opportunity.  Hopefully La Stella gets his chance…I’m pulling for him.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017