Friday, November 15, 2013

"HE WAS A GOOD YANKEE, BUT A BETTER DAD"


If there was anything that I took away from last night's Safe at Home Foundation event honoring Jorge Posada, it was his dedication to his family.  Sure, we knew that already, but hearing it from his team and seeing his face on stage. Well, it's a different type of emotion. You feel it yourself.  It's a real sweet moment actually.  Last night we heard about family over and over again, but it was most touching listening to Lee Mazzilli.


Lee Mazzilli talked about Jorge's toughness and grit on the field and in the Yankee clubhouse. But there was much more to it.  He spoke about how throughout the Posadas horrible ordeal with Jorge Jr. and his Craniosynostosis operations, Jorge was a true professional.  He never brought his personal situation into the clubhouse.  When he was a father, he was a father 100%. When he was a ballplayer, he was a ballplayer. Mazzilli said it simply.  He said the whole team felt for Jorge and Laura.  He said he knew how hard it was for the Posadas, but Jorge never lost focus.  "He was a good Yankee," Mazzilli said, "But a better dad."  That was followed by thunderous applause.   I wish I could have seen Laura's face at that moment, because I know she was proud.  Jorge looked uncomfortable because you almost know he doesn't want people fussing over him.  That's not his style, at least that's what I think. But he sat there with what appeared to be a tear in his eye. I got it being a father myself.  Emotion.  Pride.  Character.  That's Jorge Posada.  


The room was filled with celebrities, regular folks and the Yankees.  We all came together to donate to the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation and to honor Jorge Posada.  Grown men and women surrounded guys like Derek Jeter, Willie Randolph, Mariano Rivera and of course, Jorge.  I have never been a believer of bothering celebrities and athletes, but on a night like that, they knew we all were creeping and they took the time to sign autographs and take pictures. 

Walking up to Jorge, I looked the man in the eye and shook his hand.  "Jorge, pleasure to meet you.  Robert Casey from Bleeding Yankee Blue." "Yes, yes," he said and I got a smile from the dude I've loved watching play all these years.  I met Laura too and they both were gorgeous up close.  They took a moment, stood with my wife and I for a picture and we went about our way.  It was terrific.  I was followed by plenty more fans and I understand how annoying it must be to try and eat alittle something but be asked over and over again for pictures and autographs.  I got in, I got out and took myself out of the equation and continued on with the night. I never want to be a bother... and I hope I wasn't.

Watching a short highlight video of Jorge's playing days brought back great memories.  The man made it.  It was a long journey and he had to prove the doubters wrong.  Even Joe Torre said that Jorge wanted to be the starting catcher early on and Joe admitted, "I just didn't think you were ready at the time, but maybe you were." Jorge was and winning 4 championships proved to everyone that he was capable of anything he set his mind too.  


Jeter spoke fondly of his friendship with Jorge and brought up a story you first read here.  Laura told us in our interview with them (Read THE FULL POSADA INTERVIEW) about when Jorge and she met. Jeter said when they were about 18 years old, Jorge made Derek go search all over Puerto Rico to find a girl.  That girl was Laura.  That bookended Laura's story she told exclusively to BYB:

"We met when we were teenagers on a baseball field where he was the umpire for my softball game.  After the game ended, we both went our separate ways until we met again at a restaurant in Puerto Rico.  After a mutual friend introduced us, he remembered he had met me at the softball game and told his roommate I was the girl he wanted to marry."

A man who knows what he wants.  You gotta love that.  A drive and dedication toward success. Determination.  That's Jorge... that's the Posada family.  


Jorge finally took the mic and talked about his bond with all the players up on stage with him.  He took the time to rattle off a story about each one.  He then spoke of Laura for a brief moment, piggybacking off of Jeter's story, pointing over and saying that Laura was the strong one.  Again... more applause. 


That's love ladies and gentlemen. That's family.

Last night was outstanding.  My wife and I met a family we've admired for quite a few years.  We share the same values and we love our families to death. We appreciated our moment.  Thanks!

Shout out to Joe Torre and his wife Ali.  They have brought child abuse to light and the Safe at Home Foundation is an outstanding cause. Read Erica's piece titled JOE TORRE'S SAFE AT HOME FOUNDATION GALA. You will learn a lot and a shoutout to Erica who was on the scene getting the soundbites that the others don't have.  You are one of the best writers on the Internet! Br Proud... keep grinding it!

 The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017