Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JETER & CANO? RESPECTING THE GAME



We're not jerks here at BYB. We welcome other opinions and recently when I posted CANO: NO LEADER, NO DRIVE, a few people took issue with it. There was alot of buzz.  I was stating what many believe but really didn't talk about until recently: Cano doesn't hustle, Jeter does. It's not an earth-shattering observation, but in my opinion, and many other fans, it's the truth.

But there was more to it.  One of our readers William Tasker wrote this:

"I see these posts all the time and they are based solely on how we perceive Cano's personality to be. We see him on television and at the stadium and he doesn't look focused. And then he performs at a high level. How do we know he is not focused? And Jeter is our hero, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is as great a leader as what the meme is. How do we know he is a great leader? How do we know he lifts up those around him? We don't."


I'm fine with that.  It's a good comment, but it's not exactly what I said.  Never did I take issue with Cano's personality. In fact, I think he's probably a pretty cool guy. One thing he is doing out there is playing ball, which I appreciate and respect, but it's MY OPINION that he dogs it.  He's talented... maybe he's TOO talented and that's why it looks so easy.

I wrote that piece from the heart and it goes back to something my Little League coach told me when I think I was probably 7 or 8 years old.  He said, "Respect this game and the game will respect you." At the time, I really had no idea what that meant. Looking at Robinson Cano all these years later, I do.  Derek Jeter respects the game. 5 championships later, there is no question about it. Without Jeter leading, we aren't the same club. Again, MY OPINION, and that's what makes BYB great. William Tasker has his opinion on these 2 players and I have mine... we still can have this discussion and disagree and not get angry at each other.


I like Robinson Cano, many of us do, but these media reports about this boat load of money that he feels should come his way is ludicrous and he knows that.  But this is what Free Agents do and it makes you realize that baseball is a business.  But hey... you still need to respect the game.

I leave you with this.  This comes from one of our writers Steve Skinner, a brilliant baseball mind and again, another OPINION. He writes:

"Did you ever see Cano inexplicably position himself in the exact right spot for a relay to gun down a runner at the plate? Have you ever witnessed Cano run 2 positions over and dive into the stands to catch a foul ball? Have you seen Cano leg out EVERY ball he's hit regardless of where it ended up? I'll answer for you: NO. Jeter has, and does to this day. That's the difference between a leader and just another ballplayer.

Cano's talent far exceeds Jeter's these days, but Jeter's heart, hustle and attitude puts him ahead of Cano."


Something to think about. Respect the game. When you respect the game, you respect the fans... and fans fall in love and respect you.  Don't respect it and you'll be the last one on the field with no one respecting you...think about that Robbie.  It's not just a baseball thing... it's a life thing.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened and all shirts at $10! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017