Monday, August 12, 2013

THE GOOD, BAD & THE UGLY: LIFE AS A YANKEES FAN IN 2013

I can't remember when the last season was, that I couldn't bring myself to watch more than a few innings of baseball. This season, I have hardly gotten past the 7th inning, without fighting the urge to change the channel. To say it's been rough is an understatement.


The Ugliest: As a Yankee fan, I'm not used to the media circus. I almost feel like we should be immune to it. Hell, even the 2012 Red Sox circus was a surprise to me. Maybe because I know that some teams are held in a different prestige than others. Unfortunately, that has not been true this season. We've become the butt of the joke, in every paper, on every headline. Everything from our injuries, to the ARod Biogenesis ordeal. There have been several occasions that I have questioned the neutrality of certain journalist on twitter. Way to remain unbiased, guys! Really! You're an inspiration to a lowly blog writer, like myself. I think we can all agree that we are over the bullshit news reports, the biogenesis scandal, and all things media related, for the most part.


The Ugly: The  long list of injuries. If I were more superstitious, I would say someone gave the team "el mal de ojo," and would be tying chicken feet to all my Yankee merchandise. It's gotten to the point that I completely ignore my text message notifications from YES. If they fall victim to another injury, I will scream!

 

The Bad: Offense. Offense. Offense. Holy crap, guys! It's basic little league mistakes they are making, and it is driving me up the wall! If they don't start playing small ball, I volunteer to head over to Yankee stadium, to knock some heads around. Honestly, it sometimes feels like I am listening to "Entry of the Gladiators" as they play. Clowns everywhere! It's painful.


The Good: Remember when Derek Jeter came back? Not that time, the other time. Yea, the time he came out to Eminem saying "People, it feels so good to be back," and then he hit a home run on the first pitch? Bask in it my Yankee brethren. It's what dreams are made of.

The Best: The Return of Mariano Rivera. When he was hurt last season, it seemed like the world of Yankees fans shattered. Coming back this season, and watching him take the mound so often, has been amazing. He is nearly perfect. And his performance at the All Star Game? I dare any baseball fan to watch that without getting goosebumps. It was absolutely incredible. His farewell tour has been touching. As Yankee fans, we have a bias where he is concerned. It has been nice to see how well like, and very much respected he is throughout the league.

Yea, this season has been rough on us. More difficult than any season in recent memory. But there are a few golden moments.

 
--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer

Twitter: @e_morales1804


 


The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017