Wednesday, July 17, 2013

MY NIGHT AT CITIZENS BANK PARK

Crazy right?  Yeah, as a Yankee fan, it almost seems unusual that I would ever step foot into Philly territory.  The fact of the matter is one of my friends had organized a trip to the Phillies-White Sox game last Friday night and with the rain coming into Pennsylvania that day, it was moved to Saturday night. We were in PA at a Little League Tournament, but it was important to venture off and try to catch some pro ball... it's for the kids after all. That's an inside joke. Anyway, the plan was in place, we had our tickets in hand and we headed off to the park.


I’m here to make a statement; Citizens Bank Park was outstanding! And, I must say,  the Phillies fans were awesome too!  What a breath of fresh air and what a terrific ballpark!  I mean sure, there was a drunk dude behind my son trying to hit him up for a bite of his Turkey Hill Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream, but it was more playful than anything. The fans were welcoming and our group appeared to have a blast!


We got to see John Mayberry Jr. crank out a home run that night, my son's first live homer of the year, if you can believe that.  The place erupted like it should if you're a Phillies fan and Mayberry is clearly loved in Philly! The night was clear after a rainstorm had come in earlier in the day, so even though it was humid, it was a great night for baseball...No rain, thank God. 


The Phillies were playing the second game of their double header that night.  Earlier in the day, Ben Revere busted his foot on a foul ball. I was hoping to see Revere that night, I'm a fan of his. No matter, the atmosphere at the Park made me forget.  I ordered 2 hot dogs and a coke and it was about 10 bucks cheaper than Yankee Stadium.  I almost fell over.  My son, a baseball fan, not only a Yankee fan, bought a Phillies cap to remember the night.  My buddy bought one of those commemorative baseballs and a few Phillie Phantics for his younger kids... spreading the baseball cheer...

Overall, the night was great and the Phillies won Game two.  As we were leaving, tragedy struck.  My buddy’s son forgot his mitt.  We ran up to the stands to look for it.  At one point I yelled down the row, “Anyone see a baseball glove under their chair?” Everyone in the City of Brotherly Love scrambled,  not only in the row, but in the whole section.  They could see it in our faces… we were worried.  You know… a mitt is a very special part of a child’s life and losing it, well, it’s sort of devastating.  Suddenly, 2 rows up, someone held it up! “I found it!”  Then… all smiles and alittle applause!  A night in Philadelphia we would never forget for sure.

So, I’m here to say, if you get a chance, get to Citizens Bank Park, catch a Phillies game, hang with the fans, eat there, enjoy yourself and if you get a moment to just sit and look around from your seat, do it, because it was a terrific experience and something I’d love to do again.

That being said… there’s something great about being in the Bronx and trust me, being a Yankee fan, I wouldn’t trade it for the world, but venture out once in a while... you just might like it.  

Oh yeah... and Go Yanks!

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017