Saturday, July 13, 2013

"CAN'T YA CALL ME BUCKY?"


I have no problem admitting this to all of you readers.  Frankly, I may be placed in a crush file for 8-year-old girls who are obsessed with teen idols but I don’t care.  I love Bucky Dent.  I loved him when I was 8 and I love him now.  Last year, at the Trenton Thunder, I got to meet him and my heart stopped, especially when he talked to me.  Oh God, it was incredible.


From television spots, to his post game interviews to his eye black, I could not get enough of Bucky Dent.  I remember the spot for fur coats that he and his then wife Stormy did together back in the 80s.  “Russell, what do you think about this one?” his wife said flirtatiously as she wrapped herself in a mink coat.  I hated that commercial, but liked seeing him in anything I could lay my eyes on.


And I was not alone.  According to an article published in the Lakeland Ledger (HERE) in 1979, “Women have said if Dent’s picture is on it, they’ll buy the product, whatever it is.”  



Yes, number 20 was for me everyday of the week.  But, my dad and many other Yankee fans thought he was overrated.  He used to grunt when Dent got up with the bases loaded.  “Oh, there’s your friend again, grounding out,” he would complain.  We had one television in the house and it was either tuned to Walter Cronkite, Yankee baseball or M*A*S*H.  And the Yankees trumped the other two.  Then, 1978 came and Bucky Dent changed the minds of naysayers everywhere proving that he was much more than looks for the ladies.


As you may recall, it was 1978 when we played a special one-game playoff against the Red Sox.  The winner would advance to the American League Championship Series.  There was no Division Series back then.  Ron Guidry was on the mound and our lineup was stacked.  We were missing our regular second baseman Willie Randolph, but the rest of the guys were there ready to beat the Sox with everything they had.  The game was close and the stress level in my house was at an all time high.  Then, the 7th inning happened and Bucky Dent stepped up to the plate.  “Oh, no, why does it have to be him,” my father croaked.  I remembering praying for Bucky like I now pray for my son when he gets up to bat.  And then, like a gift from God, Dent sailed one over the Green Monster in left and the Yanks took the lead.  The nail biting game just took a turn for the better for us and my dad smiled and cheered as if he was the president of the Bucky Dent fan club.


Dent carried the momentum of that home run through the series against the Dodgers earning an MVP award with Brian Doyle.  The Dent-Doyle double play was the best there ever was during the 1978 series and the Yankees were back to their dynasty status with back to back series wins, something they had not seen since the early 60s. 

Today, Dent is still hated by Red Sox fans, who remember Dent’s dinger that sent the team to the golf course.  “They still, however, call him "Bucky Effin' Dent," even though its been more than 30 years since the three-time All-Star — who hit just 40 home runs in 12 major league seasons — destroyed New England's World Series dreams by hitting a three-run dinger in the 1978 American League East one-game playoff,” stated an article in the New York Daily News (HERE) in 2010.  Today, you can catch Dent watching his son Cody and daughter Caitlin playing ball while still coaching and making personal appearances like the one he did in Trenton last summer.


I love Bucky Dent and although he wasn’t a successful manager for the Yankees from 1989-1990 and has put on a few pounds since his playing days, he still floats my boat any day of the week.  How about you?



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof





The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017